One

DRAFT. SAMPLE ONLY! READ IT ON INKITT. LINK ON MY BIO.

The smell of rust and oil was dominant in the air. Half an hour passed since they left the city port. Yet they've seen no end on the sways of the vessel. Feeling cramped in the captain's cabin, Mia decided to cool off and walked out on the deck. The breeze brushed her pinkish cheeks, carrying the smell of the sea, which hardly bothered her by now.

There was a sense of freedom in the wind. With her eyes close, she easily dreamt it was true. She was free and away from the bustling street of the city. The pavement was filled with busy people in formal attire for work or casual wear as they go about their daily routine. The rustling of crowds and roaring sound of horns during rush hour felt suffocating. It used to give her comfort being surround by people, or the idea of being in front of a large crowd. She could still hear an echo of applause. Now, it felt like a detached dream or a memory.

Then it was gone.

A loud ripped from the engine startled her awake. In reality, she wasn't close to freedom. Though her aunt hadn't viewed the island in such a way whenever she'd gone on her long visits.

Another throaty sound of the engine, the rusty floating vessel carried them closer towards their destination. She lingered by the front railing, not a hint of seasickness kicking in. Unlike her youthful and spirited aunt, her face was devoid and paled in comparison to her own. There were times she showed signs of throwing up, yet in the hour they were at sea, she never once asked for a bucket.

"Mia! Mia! Where are you?" Her aunt's shrill voice was drowned by the sound of the waves splashing on the side of the boat. "Mia!"

On the third time, Mia heard her aunt. She looked up towards the captain's cabin and found her peering over the rusted steel door.

"Don't lean too far or you might fall!"

"I'm fine, aunt Leanna."

"Why don't you come up here? It is much safer!"

"I'm fine."

"Mia! Come up here, will you!"

She sighed in defeat and turned away from the view. Mia walked up the steps and joined her in the captain's cabin. Her aunt's pale face nearly matched her platinum blonde hair. She thought about how it never occurred to her she hated traveling by sea. As a designer who traveled a lot for her work, she might have overcome her fear. But her sickly face was proof she had not.

"Do you need any medicine, auntie?" Mia asked out of worry.

"I'm fine, dear. It will pass. Besides, we a few minutes away from disembarking."

"Okay. But if you need anything, just tell me."

"Thank you, Mia."

Mia sat in silence, waiting for another ten minutes before she got a better view of the island. It was then she got up in anticipation. Leanna mindlessly followed closer where Mia stood by the main exit. Her sickness subsided. Her cheeks slowly shown more color.

"You'll love it here. It's peaceful and away from city life." Leanna said. "The air is fresh and the people are welcoming. You do not have to worry about who you were. Here, you can be yourself."

"How many times did you visit here, auntie?"

"I always come back every other year. But for the past five years, I always come back once a year to stay for three months."

"Why?"

"Because I can work here peacefully. And I consider it as part of my home."

It perked her interest. Mia knew her aunt had various houses around the globe. The reason doesn't connect to her job, but because she married a rich man. And this one particular place they're headed is one of the islands north of Scotland. There were many such islands, to her knowledge, and her aunt Leanna did name the place before their departure in America. However, she still forgot. It would be rude if she asked for it again. So, she'd humored her until she unearthed it from memory.