The Chapter I'm Stuck On

--Ashton--

I eased back on the car seat as I drove through this icing frosted neighbourhood. It had started to snow quite heavily since a few hours ago, so I was keen on heading back into the warmth of a house. My job nowadays was a bit humbler and more earnest than what it was in the past. I didn't have the luxury of keeping to the confines of a luxurious manor whilst cash added to my pocket itself. I had finally remembered what it was to be cold and tired from work. Having grown up in a rich family and entering into a dangerous but plentiful occupation, this kind of commoner discomfort had only come to me once before in my life.

Right after my father had kicked me from the household. I was cut off completely during that time – a 14-year-old boy. It was hard on the streets until Don Crips had offered me some assistance under his wing to repay me for my dirty deeds and loyalty. Something that tore my entire family apart.

But, whatever. That was in the past now. This was completely different from what that was.

I let go of a sigh and decided to dial Greta through my car's Bluetooth. It rang a few times before the other end crackled to life and she spoke into the phone. "Hello?"

"Greta, where are you right now?" I asked as I rolled onto the final turn to my street. Hopefully, she hadn't gone out. I was hoping for a good home-cooked meal as soon as I got back. "Are you at home?"

A disjointed hum came from her end before she responded, a little frazzled. "U-Um, yeah, yeah. I'm...still at home," she confirmed, awkwardly. I knitted together my eyebrows at the tension in her voice. Immediately, my mind went to the worse. Had I been found out?! Was Greta trying to tell me this?! "A-Are you far?" I picked up my speed, barreling down the road to my house.

"No," I answered, just in case. "I just left work actually." If there was someone there, they must be listening in. Does that mean they've taken Greta as a hostage? Shit. I gripped the wheel with both hands and fixated my gaze on the house up ahead. Okay. I'll bust in through the basement hatch and scope the pl-

A split second of a glimpse of a person in front of my car and I slammed the brakes as hard as I could. The tyres screeched against the iced ground and skidded off the road, ending on the pathway. Fuck.

I made a frantic rush to fumble open the car door and stepped out into the sharp bite of icy air. Greta's panicked yelps from the Bluetooth faded out as I ran over to the figure crumpled up on the ground. Her limbs were sprawled across the road and a small path of red oozed from her forehead, matting her brown locks up with blood. Crap, I actually hit her.

"Hey!" I called out as I slid over to her unmoving body. I grabbed onto her arm and shook it a little to check if she was still alive. A groan emerged from her, much to my relief, before she went limp. "Hey, wake up! Can you hear me?!" She was unresponsive and I cursed under my breath. Son of a bitch, you've gotta be kidding me. This is hardly the time! Greta could be in danger right now, and I have to deal with this?! If someone was threatening her right now, they would've definitely heard this as well. I jostled the woman again in desperation. I couldn't call the ambulance in case they take me for questioning. It was too risky. "Come on, lady, wake up, will you?!" I shook her some more until she groaned in pain and suddenly grasped onto my jacket sleeve. Oh, yes, thank God. That's it, don't pass out. "Can you hear me? Hello? Can you hear me? Ma'am-"

"Ashton..." The name left her lips so wistfully and naturally amidst her unconscious state. It stilled the cogs in my head and caused me to retract my hands from her body. What was that? Ashton? How the hell did she know my name? "Ash..." Her voice was wounded and weak, croaking with sadness. My heart rate sparked up with recognition. A voice I've kept in my mind for years now. It couldn't be...