Lonely

--Naomi--

The ambience of the casino was thunderously loud and the flashing lights were blinding. A drunk man, draped with 2 women, wrapped his pudgy arm over my shoulders as I walked towards the toilets; his breath intoxicated with the strong stench of alcohol. I took a brief scan over his appearance – red shirt and blazer, stained with dried splashes of various liquids. He had cheap, gold rings on his fingers and chains around his neck. A low-class gangster, I had thought, once the pistol resting on my belt's holster revealed itself.

"What's up, baby? How much is you?" His slurred words whispered huskily into my ear. I pretended not to hear him and meagerly continued past him. He wasn't going to get any higher on the crime ladder if he allowed himself to be presented in such an ungracious manner.

Ignoring his furious shouts, I slowed my stride to a creep and soundlessly slinked away from the noise and into the unisex bathroom entrance. When was Jake going to be done with this? I know I said I wanted to help but this place was not where I liked to spend my nights. I wasn't even doing anything useful. I think Jake only brought me along as an accessory to satiate my insistence.

With a huff, I stared into my reflection. A face pampered with glamorous makeup to match the skimp of this dress. I was never one that was too attuned to my appearance. Thankfully, the Truven genes spared me most of the effort but otherwise, I never really felt the need to impress anyone. 

Besides Jake, of course. But, then again, he had that effect on everyone. 

I watched my fingertips trace down the lining of my jaw before my hand clasped gently onto the girth of my neck. I was happy to have been of some use to him earlier and so I felt inclined to extend that even further. But, I could tell from a particular glint in his eyes that I was probably just a nuisance to him. 

I wonder what it was? He liked the confidence in Nicki. Her playful disposition. Perhaps, it was just my personality, then. When he came back home two years ago,  I barely attracted any of his attention. And, it didn't help that I wasn't that close to the main family either. 

Sometimes, it makes me question my own motives for befriending Nicki at that time...

My features twitched in the mirror and shook my head to rattle away such thoughts. No, it doesn't matter anyways now. Nicki is my friend for no other reason than the fact that I enjoy her company. 

So, what was I doing worrying about such stupid things when she was in the hospital right now? I was here for her, not Jake. Her and the rest of the group. We had to find this woman that Jake was after.

This Abigail Cornelia.

Apparently, she was the only lead we had on the people that were behind this attack. The people that took Eloise Lettner. 

Eloise...that girl...

The creak of the bathroom door flickered my gaze to the right. However, my eyes popped wide once I realised the masculine build that had pushed it open. I didn't frighten back a step though, as the identity of this man instantly became apparent to me. What with those golden threads of finely woven hair and blitzing blue eyes, he was hard to mistake for another. 

Our eyes met after a quick survey of his before he nodded over for me to follow. "Oi, we're done here. Let's go," Jake prompted sternly. There was no light-heartedness in his tone so I didn't dare disobey him. It hastened me into flustered scuttle so that he wouldn't have to hold the door open for me for too long. We're done? Already? Did he really find her that quickly? In a place like this? After I slipped out, Jake rested his arm onto my shoulder and pulled me close as we made our way back into the club. My heart quivered at the gesture and whipped my shying gaze up to his settled grin as he released a satisfied breath of air. "So, did you enjoy your time here? Get hit on by a few shitheads? Was it worth the trip?" He conversed capriciously as we treaded through the club en route to the entrance again.