A Game

--Eloise--

I shoved my body back against the seat and gripped its sides. My eyes locked onto King's figure – his broad and tall silhouette, bathed in the dim light of the cloudy sky. He stood there staring at us like death. With one of his men holding an umbrella above him, he remained untouched by the rain and cold. Nothing was left to serve as a deterrence for his ruthless gaze. 

Whilst, I, on the other hand, shivered and felt my body starting to stick to my clothes from my sweat.

His eyes lasered into mine. I let out a shaky breath when his men filed out of the two cars and stood behind him, all armed with pistols.

No! 

My left shoulder itched. This goddamn tracker!

King placed his hands into his pockets as his men began to close in on us. 

The terror that quaked through me brought stinging tears to my eyes. This was it. I thought I had finally done it. That I had finally escaped that fucker's clutches...that I was finally free.

But, all of that was false hope. It's over. What will he do to me now that I've tried to escape?!

My breath shortened as I watched two of King's men begin to approach the car. What do we do?! There's nowhere we can drive to get out of this. Should we make a run for it?! No, they would catch us before we even got a chance to get off the road. 

Stephens! 

I whipped over to his still figure and desperately grasped at his arm with both of my hands. My body was shaking, my throat going dry.

"Stephens..." I choked out as I bored my wide-eyed panic into the side of his face. "We have to get out of here! You have to get us out of here!" His hands had not left the steering wheel and simply clenched down on it as he took a deep sigh of acceptance. King's men began to enclose us. And, I could not believe that he was keeping his composure. "Stephens!" 

Suddenly, both his hands grabbed tightly onto my shoulders. I could tell by the slight shudder that he also understood his fate and that this was as far as we would go now. We both stared into each other's turbulent eyes as he exhaled a smile. "I'm sorry, Miss Lettner but I've failed you," he spoke as King's men finally reached our doors and demanded us to step out. I dared not to look, eyes locked on Stephens instead. "Listen to me carefully, though. There is a group called the Veleno group that has been tasked with finding and retrieving you, understand? If all else fails, and the Truvens cannot help you, you must find Abigail Cornelia," he informed, striking my eyes round with astonishment. Abigail Cornelia? That maid?! Stephens reinforced his grip when he saw that my mind was beginning to falter, repositioning my focus back to him. "Remember it well, Miss Lettner. Abigail Cornelia of the Veleno group will take you to your father."

My lips parted with a further bombardment of bare shock and disbelief. Confusion followed and bounced around my head with every other thought that piece of revolutionary information ignited. What had he just said?! 

"My what?!"

The windows on either side of the car shattered, making me squeal. Hands reached inside and unlocked the doors before they were ripped open and I was wrenched off of Stephens. King's men yanked me outside and into the heavy rain, dragging me by my heels towards him. I struggled frantically against their grip, clawing, kicking and wriggling for freedom.

"NO! Let me go!" I heard the two men that had secured me by my arms grunt at my difficulty and shove me onto the flooding ground at the feet of King. I crawled away instantly, only to have them seize me again. Thunder roared above us through the sky, a flash of light illuminated the dark clouds afterwards.