Checkmate (Request)

Start from the beginning

"As our newest member, why don't you stand up here?" she asked him, and he walked to the front of the room, standing at the podium positioned there. I sat down next to Kiera, trying not to snicker.

"Let's all ask him one question from the book," I announced, and I saw the bewilderment in his eyes. I had gotten him. He didn't read it.

We asked him question after question, and he came up with lame answers and excuses for not knowing the answers.

"It's four, Tess," Gabby called to me. I smiled, knowing Niall would be jumping for joy inside.

"See you guys on Monday!" I yelled to everyone, catching Niall's arm.

"I want to talk to you," I said over everyone's voices. He nodded, sitting down at a desk until everyone left. I wasn't mad at him at all, really. In fact, I felt a little guilty for embarrassing him so much.

"I'm sorry I put you through that," I spoke, and he looked up at me quickly. He shrugged, his cheeks still a little pink.

"I didn't have anything planned for today, anyway. Besides, I knew from your summary that you hadn't read the book," I chuckled, all the authority of being president leaving the room with the members.

"You did? Dang. I thought I had done a pretty good job," he scowled at himself. I shook my head, inhaling quickly.

"No, no. It was great. Even I can't drag my words out for three pages," I rushed, making sure he didn't feel bad about what he had written. His eyebrows rose.

"So I'm still in the group?" he wondered, and I nodded. His sigh of relief was followed by the screech of the chair I pulled up to the front of the desk he was sitting at.

"So who is it?" I asked him, more curious that usual to know. He furrowed his eyebrows at me, but I knew he knew what I was talking about.

"What do you mean?" I scoffed at him, rolling my eyes.

"Come on. You may be good at English, but you didn't even read the book!" I laughed, putting my chin in my palm on the desk and leaning closer to him.

"Who is it you like in here?" I asked again, and his eyes went wider than before.

"Oh, well. . ." He trailed off, and the curiosity grew.

"Kiera? Morgan? Sidney?" I asked, and he shook his head. "I bet it's Maggie. She's so pretty," I sighed, shaking my head. I wondered everyday how she did it.

"I'd laugh so hard if it was me," I almost giggled, running a hand through my hair. When I met his eyes again, he was silent. It hit me like a brick, and I almost wanted to laugh in his face. I suppressed that, letting the shock show through on my face.

"Oh." Suddenly, his whole demeanor changed, and that shocked me, too.

"I caught you off guard like you did me. You have the same look in your eyes that I probably did when you all asked me about that freaking book," he laughed, shaking his head. My heart was pounding.

He went through all of that madness and embarrassment just to be around me? I thought to myself, suddenly very aware of all the things he'd done to be near me.

"I guess we're even now," he smirked, and I realized what I could do. He stood up to go as if his and my work was done.

"We're catching each other off guard, huh?" I confirmed, and he chuckled.

"I guess, yeah," he shrugged, bringing my spirits back up completely.

"It's my turn then," I grinned, standing up and kissing his cheek, then grabbing my backpack to head out the door before I started blushing.

"Your move." His mouth hung open, his eyes glued to me. I began to pull open the door, but I dropped the book Niall had given back. He quickly picked it up, and I held out my hand for him to hand it back, but when he stood back up straight, he leaned in and kissed me. I was barely holding myself together at that point, and he sighed in front of me, so close that I knew he could feel my nervousness.

He pulled open the door himself, and just as he was about to disappear, he grinned.

"Checkmate."

.

.

thanks to _Queen_Horan_ for requesting this! Sorry for the wait but I hope you liked it!

this one is long gosh and it's mostly mine

thanks for reading! make sure to vote, whatever that does xD I stayed home today to get imagines done and I only wrote one sentence on the last one and this. I'm so disappointed in myself

Mel x