Thought (Request)

I set down my lunch tray, and he stole one of my fries. I rolled my eyes, sitting down on the chair when I really didn't want to.

Niall and I had been dating for three months, and I knew with every fiber of my being that he hated me. So I made it seem that way, too.

"You're a pain in the neck," I scowled, but he just kept scrolling through his phone. "You know that, right?" He glared up at me, putting his device down.

"I'm probably going to break up with you," he shrugged. "You know that, right?" I glared right back at him, his words hurting me just a little more than usual. Or a lot.

I liked Niall. Obviously he didn't feel the same, but I didn't know that until after he'd said yes to me asking him out. I'd thought he'd actually liked me.

"Whatever. Do want you want. I couldn't care less," I laughed cold-heartedly. He nodded, and I ate my lunch in silence, all of our friends around us silent at what had just happened.

When I left school that day, I saw him on the front steps, his eyes meeting mine. He waved me over like he still loved me, so I trudged towards him, wishing he would just kill me instead of breaking my heart.

"I don't want you anymore, not that I ever even did," he shrugged, squinting in the sun. I nodded, trying not to let how upset I was show through.

"See you around, jerk!" I called, running off to my car. As soon as that door shut me out from the rest of world, I cried for so long. Eventually I had to drive home, and I did, but it was hard to steer when I couldn't see that well and was sobbing too hard.

I had made such a mistake dating him. I should have known from the beginning he was just playing. But, he was really nice and sweet and amazing before all of it. I asked him out, and he grinned like I'd given him a car. He helped me with math, he worked on presentations with me so I wouldn't get nervous up there in front of everyone.

What had changed?

I was glad it was the weekend because I went to bed and didn't get out.

Sunday afternoon Melody called me, not surprised when she heard me sobbing. She'd been at the table when he told me he'd break up with me. She knew how much I liked him.

"I'll be over in twenty," she spoke urgently before hanging up without a goodbye.

15 minutes passed, and I heard a knock on the door. I didn't bother composing myself, so a few tears fell as I jerked open the door.

"I came to give you back your clothes-" Niall started, and I felt like screaming.

"I thought you were Melody," I spoke quietly, taking the clothes from his hands that he looked like he'd been about to drop on the floor.

"Why are you crying?" he wondered, all traces of his terrible personality gone.

"Oh, I don't know!" I yelled, trying to slam the door in his face but having to shove it closed. He kept it open, coming into my house without asking like he always had. That time felt different.

"Get out!" I yelled, holding in my tears as I threw the clothes in a basket. I stared at him standing by the door. His eyes had been following me, and I just wanted to read his mind.

"I thought you'd liked me, and I liked you, too. But she told me that you just wanted popularity and that you really despised me, so I tried to do the same," he spoke, and I didn't have to hold in my tears anymore. I hung on every word, repeating it in my head.

"Who told you that?" I asked, stepping a little closer. He shrugged.

"She said it'd been going around." My heart was pounding out of control.

He didn't hate me?

"I thought you hated me," I spoke again, wiping the tears from my face.

"I thought you hated me," he spoke, raising an eyebrow.

"But I don't." I shook my head, a sense of hope rising from somewhere hidden inside me. "I mean, I asked you out for a reason."

"And that wasn't for popularity?" he asked, and I shook my head, hopefully confirming what he wanted to be true.

"So it's been a huge misunderstanding?" he laughed, and I took in the warmth I felt from his presence opposed from the lack of heat previously.

"I'm sorry," I sighed, rubbing my head. "I don't know why'd they say that." He shrugged, and I swallowed hard.

"Thanks for the clothes," I smiled as best as I could. Yes, my wish had come true, but that didn't mean I got to live my dream.

"I'll see you around, I guess." I started towards the door once more, hearing him say my name before I could pull it open.

"I want to try something," he spoke, and I felt like I was seeing him for the first time.

"Oh, alright," I shrugged. He grinned briefly before hugging me tighter than he ever had.

"It's so strange," he spoke as my face began to turn red in his arms. "That it feels so much different when you know the other feels the same." He might as well have read my mind.

"I thought you'd broken up with me," I told him, and he let me go.

"And I thought I'd made it pretty clear that I still like you." My heart was pounding, but I found the will to make my voice and muscles work.

"I know something that'll make it even clearer," I smiled, standing on my tiptoes to give him a kiss right as Melody walked in.

And I thought I was happy.

.

.

thanks to Alyvia4 for requesting this! So sorry for the wait, but I hope you liked it!

I love you all so freaking much

Mel xxxxxxxx