Win

before you read; this is based off a true story! my dad likes to tell this story to us kids, so I thought I'd make it my special halfway mark of this book. Enjoy!

.

I watched them walk by once more, rolling my eyes like I had been every single time before that day, too. I didn't understand why they felt the need to threaten me and flip me off. I really had no idea who they were, but I ignored them. I didn't care.

I stood in my little booth with my head in my hand, sighing. I hadn't wanted to run it, but the fair was pretty busy that year, and people loved elephant ears. (a/n it's fried dough with sugar on it) It was a little hot out, but the breeze cooled everything down.

After those two walked by another time, I was surprised when she came up to me. I had been chasing Y/N for a long time, but she had never really reciprocated. So when she came up to me in my booth, I stood up straight.

"Hey," I smiled, and her gentle smile back was enough to make me forget about those guys for a while.

"Hi, Niall," she spoke, eyeing at the booth I was in. "This looks fun." I chuckled, shrugging.

"My dad volunteered for us to work it, so I had no choice," I sighed, but I really wasn't too upset right then.

"Where's he?" she asked me, leaning over the counter with both hands holding her hand. I stepped back a little, surprised she was getting close to me. Her indifference had been quite loud before that day.

"He's on his way from his actual work," I replied, still in shock that she was even in front of me. She was so pretty with her hair getting blown slightly by the wind.

"When are you done here?" she wondered, and I realized that my initial surprise was nothing.

"6:30," I spoke eagerly. She smiled a little wider, standing back up straight. She pushed her hair behind her ear, looking down for a second.

"I'll see you then," she nodded, turning on her heel and walking away with her smile lingering in my pounding heart.

Finally, I sighed to myself, and I couldn't have been more fed up with that booth.

When my dad finally arrived, I saw Y/N afar off, saying a quick goodbye. He told me to be back soon, but I wasn't really listening.

I met her halfway, startling her abit.

"Hey," she smiled, her hands that were clasped behind her back falling to her sides.

"Where are we going?" I wondered, and she shrugged.

"I just wanted to walk around, talk, just you know," she spoke, tilting her head to one side.

"I'm down with that," I nodded, and she smiled over at me, making me unable to help doing the same.

We walked in silence for only a few moments, but then she just went. We talked about going back to school, colleges, sports, hobbies, and before we knew it, we had walked a long way away. We ended up entering some stadium where an auction would be taking place. I figured there would be seats to sit in, so I let us continue as she told me about her friend's escapade about nickels.

We sat down at a table among many others, continuing to talk. That was one thing we were both good at.

I got the feeling that she was interested in me, but not a whole lot. I didn't feel like all that talking would lead anywhere, but I was having a lot of fun getting to know her.

I saw someone walking up in the corner of my eye, turning to see Liam and Louis approaching.

"Hey," they greeted me, eyeing Y/N with confusion. "We're here because our parents are part of the auction. What are you doing?"