『 xiii. | CLIFF'S EDGE. 』

╔─────╝ ☠ ╚─────╗xiii

╔─────╝ ☠ ╚─────╗
xiii. | CLIFF'S EDGE.
╚─────╗ ☠ ╔─────╝

FOUR DAYS LATER

IT WAS A RARITY FOR EDEN PERKINS to get taken in by her surroundings, for them to engulf her fully in a way that made her forget about all the shitty things, creatures, even humans that hid in the shadows, waiting for the right moment to ruin her day. But this was one of these moments.

With the sound of the waves crashing against the cliffs calming her nerves, making her forget about her sore legs and aching feet, Eden stood only a few inches away from the slope — far enough away for it to be safe but close enough for her to be able to look down. Ironically enough, Eden's fear of heights didn't kick in when it came to water being at the bottom. It was stupid of her mind to tell her this wasn't something she should fear because she was aware if she fell off this height, she would die — whether there was water at the bottom or not. But despite that knowledge, Eden couldn't get herself to feel scared. Not with this view in front of her.

The sun was setting — Eden guessed for it to be around 5 to 6PM —, coloring the sky in the richest shades the colors pink and purple had to offer. The scenery in front of her looked like a painting in an art exhibition with the mountains looking like sleeping giants only an one or two hour walk away from them, the water underneath her feet reflecting the colors of the sky. It was breathtaking. Eden wished she could've stood there for longer, simply watching as the night took over the day, the darkness won over the light, but reality caught up to her sooner than she'd liked.

Pulled out of her thoughts by the sounds of several footsteps, Eden slowly turned around, her arms embracing her torso to keep herself warm — to little avail. The rest of the group arrived slowly, exhaustedly after Clementine, Eden and Luke who had taken the lead. If Eden was being honest, she was just glad to finally be out of these damned woods and see something other than trees again — the change of surroundings was what got Eden through the day's walk.

While the rest of the group stepped out of the shadows of the trees and joined the rest of them, Eden looked from Luke who was busy looking down at the map that seemed to be glued to his hands after these five days to Clementine. After Eden had given her her binoculars and a boost upon the rock to get a better look around and check for anything that seemed like it might get in their way, she had waited patiently for the girl to speak up but her patience was fading with every passing second and eventually, she expectantly asked, "What d'you see?"

"She better see somethin'," Alvin spoke in his deep, tired sounding voice. He stood next to Rebecca who had taken up on the opportunity to sit down and rest her swollen feet for a few minutes. "We've been walkin' for a damn week."

Carlos looked over at Alvin at his words. He was still standing but his shoulders were slumped, an obvious sign that he was just as tired as the rest of them, although he was trying not to let it show as much. "We've got to find some shelter," Carlos agreed.