『 xxi. | A WAY OUT. 』

╔───── ╝ ☠ ╚─────╗xxi

╔───── ╝ ☠ ╚─────╗
xxi. | A WAY OUT.
───── ─────

          THE FIRST THING SHE SAW was a familiar pair of tawny-colored orbs swimming in worry. It was Luke–tending her wounds, not caring about his own while holding her hand with the one he wasn't holding the rag with. It'd already turned red by how much blood he'd had to wash off her face. Underneath, her skin had taken upon blue and purple colors. Her right eye was swollen almost completely shut so part of her vision was restricted and blurry.

          Once she recognized the young man, she felt relieved. Then it dawned on her what this meant. They had been caught – both of them. She wanted to sigh but at that, her whole body jerked in pain. There was a sharp sting shooting up from her ribs – even breathing hurt.

          "Hey, hey... Calm down," Luke spoke gently as he put down the rag, not letting go of her hand. "Try not to move so much. You're in pretty bad shape."

          Eden frowned upon taking in his appearance. His face was bruised up as well. "What happened to you?"

          "I... I fell asleep," he admitted and looked down in shame. "They searched the whole grounds after finding you and got to me. Carver wasn't exactly... happy to see me again, I guess."

          "He figured we were together," Eden spoke through gritted teeth, guilt dripping from her voice. "He kept asking where you were... I was hoping he wouldn't find you."

          Luke's bruised features softened, his hand pressing hers lightly so get her to look at him. "You should've just told him... Look what he's done to you." He shook his head, angry at himself. "All of it was for nothing now. I should've stayed awake, I should've–"

          "It doesn't matter," Eden cut him off. "We'll figure out something else."

          "Actually..." Luke started but then looked around to make sure that no guards were around. "We've been working on that. Bonnie said she'd help us get outta here tonight."

          Irritated, Eden quirked a brow, "Bonnie?"

          "She wanted to tag along when we first fled but... I dunno, I think she was too scared," Luke elaborated. "But after seeing what Carver's done to you and Kenny–"

          "Kenny?" Eden asked again, feeling like she'd missed out on a lot.

          "He–He covered for Clem when Carver found out about one of the walkies missing."

          Eden could only imagine what he'd done to Kenny. "Oh, fuck..."

          "Yeah... Carver beat him senseless with that radio. It's, uh–it's not looking good. But Carlos is trying his best."