Valentine Special

The chipmunk shifter ran though the grass, trying to spot his mate through the tall strings of green satin. He was in a field of snowdrops, the fresh air of early spring flooding his nostrils feverishly. 

       'Brownie! Where did you go?' 

      The chipmunk spun around his own axis, searching his surroundings in a futile attempt to find his mate. 

       'Come out already! It's not funny anymore!' 

       He rushed through the frail stems of the flowers, white petals swirling in the air behind him. 

      'You're really mean, you know? If you don't come out now I won't talk with you anymore!'

           Chip looked around nervously, feeling his heartbeat pick up and breath quicken in anxiety. Brownie knew that Chip hated to be left alone so why did he disappear and left him here on his own? Did he finally get feed up with him and abandoned him in the middle of nowhere? No, he wouldn't do that. He wasn't like Chip's brother. He would never do something to hurt him.

        But then... where was he?

        Chip spun in circles through the grass, deciding to find something which could distract him and stop him for having an anxiety attack. So with this in mind he closed his eyes and leaned over a flower, sniffing it repeatedly in order to calm down. His nose twitched every time the pollen touched his nostrils and his tinny paws closed around the soft petals, pulling the flower closer to his nose in order to bury his face in it.

       'One... two... three' Chip evened his breath, pulling away from the shattering bud and rubbing his nose clean of polen. He then rose his head, surprised to see Brownie not even a few feet away from him in his animal form.

       'Peanut!' He whined, running at the shifter who turned away from him and started to walk away.

         'Wait, Peanut! Where are you going?' The younger shifter yelped in their mind link, feeling tears prob at the corner of his eyes. 

          'Just follow me!' Brownie said, making sure he stayed in Chip's visual area.

         Chip sniffed in confusion, following his mate with hesitant steps. They walked at the end of the field and stopped in front of a huge willow tree, Chip standing a few steps behind his mate and looking at him curiously. 

        'Climb the tree and look towards the field.' Brownie said, waiting patiently for the chipmunk to make his way towards the tree and climb easily onto its lowest branch. Chip did just as said and turned around, looking at his mate and then at the patch of grass with apprehension. 

        All he could do was to gasp. 

       'Brownie!!!'

          Chip yelped, jumping down on the grass and landing right before his mate, his body facing the field. He then turned around and faced Brownie, the later standing in front of him in his human form. 

       "So, do you like it?"

        'What do you mean?!' Chip whined, changing in his human form before sitting on the ground with his hands between his legs. "You literally wrote 'You are the pea to my nut' on the grass, Brownie!"

      "Yeah, but I wrote it out of peanuts. Peanuts which you can eat!"

       Chip pouted, averting his gaze and starting to pull at the grass with his small hands.