Such a weakling

Once again was Sirius pulling at his messy fringes in order to drift his thoughts away from Teddy. He couldn't stop thinking about the little boy who was now passed out in the infirmary because of his harsh training. Like every other time, he overstepped and pushed the small shifter to his limits. He knew Teddy was strained to his max, but Sirius still wanted to see how much he could go on... what could take for Teddy to give up.

       Truth to be told, Teddy wasn't even at his fifty-fifth lap when Sirius vehemently forced him to run faster. No, because he succeeded to outrun all the  warriors by one hundred and eight laps. He was one of the fastest shifters into the clan despite being a bear. Only that he was too self loathing to see his surreal performance. He believed when Sirius told him he was the slowest runner and never paid attention to others' awed expression every time he obliviously passed them. He thought hey were rather glaring at him for being too slow and messing with the training. He thought of himself as a failure when everyone else saw him as an extraordinaire shifter... everyone including Sirius.

      What could appear to be malice and grudge behind Sirius' actions towards Teddy was actually curiosity and greed to bring the best out of the young shifter. All mixed with a considerable amount of jealousy... jealousy that Teddy was gifted with all the qualities Sirius worked so hard to gain.

     Whilst Teddy had such a remarkable inner animal, Sirius was doomed to have a useless kitten, no bigger than a palm. This is why he never shifted and tried to centre all his attention into his physical training, because his other form, no matter how much he tried to cope up with it, change it or improve it, he could never make himself accept it. His animal was clumsy, playful and overly peaceful. It was not fit for the world they've been thrown into and sincerely, it fit better with Teddy's personality than with Sirius'. It was like they were both born with the wrong animals.

       No weakling should have such a powerful inner animal like Teddy and no leader should lack the greatness of his spirit like Sirius.

       Realizing he won't be able to concentrate for the rest of the training hours, Sirius dismissed the warriors and decided to go to the infirmary to check on Teddy. He had in plan to go there, see the boy's condition and then leave as if he has never even been into the building.  However, when he got there he didn't expect to find Vicky, his stepbrother, sitting by Teddy's side, caressing his locks.

      "Vicky." Sirius greeted blankly, making his way inside the room.

      Vicky narrowed his brows, stopping his caresses against Teddy's mahogany hair and proceeding towards Sirius.

      "What happened?" He asked, pointing to Teddy's sore, scar dotted ankles.

       When Vicky refused his place as a leader, he refused his place as a warrior too, so he wasn't training like anyone else. However, he always came at the end of the training to wait for his friends. This time he was welcomed with the sight of Nash carrying a passed out Teddy to the infirmary... and it wasn't the first time happening either.

       Vicky was feed up with Sirius' harsh behavior towards Teddy and decided to finally step forward and protect his friend.

      "Why are you tormenting Teddy like this? Why are you so keen on breaking him down? Do you realize that there is a one to a million chance he might be your future mate and your current actions towards him could make him hate you? What is that makes you behave this way?!"

     Sirius sighed, looking down at the floor tiles in search for a proper answer.

       "I want Teddy either to become the best warrior either to give up on training. I can't stand seeing him waste all that inner power of his bear on such a weak body."

      "You idiot!" Vicky sighed, letting his hand fall down his face. "All bear shifters are smaller than average shifters. You'd know this if you cared enough to search.Their bodies start to develop only after -"

      Vicky's words were brusquely interrupted by a loud crack and a wince from Teddy's part.

      "Teddy?" The snake shifter turned around, in seconds reaching Teddy's side.

        "It hurts!!" Teddy cried, his eyes fluttering open only to close tightly moments later with a husky scream.  He then started to wiggle into the blank sheets, his body contorting madly, jaw clenched tightly and tears streaming down his cheeks. His back was arched strangely and his legs were fretting all over the mattress, pushing him backwards against the headboard.

      All this time, Sirius was staring at him in cold shock, frozen on the spot and not knowing what to do and how to react. What was happening? Was Teddy hurt so bad because of him? Could the burning coals, fatigue or even a concussion make Teddy react this way? Or was it something deeper? Did Sirius stir a traumatic memory back to life? Or maybe he made a traumatic experience bloom within Teddy? If so, then he could not forgive himself for it. He hated Teddy, but he freaking liked him just as much.

       Even if the wish to have Teddy as his mate stood against Sirius' nature and believes, he couldn't deny the feelings growing day by day into his heart for the younger shifter. He love-hated the smaller boy and the thought of causing him so much pain was heart dilapidating.

        A dangerous growl broke Sirius out of his trance and as he focused his gaze back on Teddy, he realized the small boy was now laid on his hands and knees, shaking from every nook of his bones . His palms were curled against the sheets and head bowed down at the level with his shoulders, his body twitching slightly in regular spasms.

     "W-what is happening?" Sirius stammered proceeding towards Teddy, but being stopped midway by Vicky .

     "He... I think he is changing." Vicky said in total astonishment, throwing the covers above Teddy's body before catching Sirius wrist and pulling him to the furthest corner of the room. The bigger shifter started to protest, but a menacing growl stopped him from doing it loudly, making his cat mewl in fear and body shudder. He turned around slowly, and with Vicky's trembling form pressed against his back he looked at Teddy, gasping in shock as the previous small bundle of covers now rose above a height of eleven feet and a half. When the sheets fell over the gigantic form there was no Teddy anymore, but a magnificent grizzly bear.

      "The bodies of bear shifters start to really develop only after their first real transformation."