Controversial Sacrifice

"The good news is that we were able to isolate the DNA and we found what went wrong. There was a cell replication switch turned off and a separate gene was added for the wings. The switch will be incredibly easy to fix. Those cells won't be inclined to reproduce. The bad news is, we think the wings are a dominant trait, so it will be a fight getting rid of them. It will take a few years and even then its iffy. But that being said, there is the possibility of the cell replicating issues actually helping us. "
"Lovely." I remark, half sarcastic. As much as I'd love to be healed, there is no point if I have these blasted wings.
"But we think we figured out how they introduced the DNA. We are hypothesizing that the angels reproductive system actually absorbs the DNA of unfertilized eggs. It's like recycling DNA in order to keep the DNA already there from causing a mutation." Wolf continues.
"So what's the next step then?" Father interjects.
"We will need to collect some eggs and implant them with the old DNA. Which we are ready whenever you are."
"Let's do this then." I tell him, hoping that his methods are humane.
Wolf nods at me and opens his case to produce a new syringe and needle. He fills the syringe with blue fluid and injects it into the vein in my arm. I immediately feel woozy and tired. Looks like it will be humane, I think as I slip off into a dreamless sleep.

I awake, my abdomen only feeling slightly sore. This time mother is by my bedside, and she glances up from her book to see me peering at her.
"Did they get it done?" I ask her quietly.
"They got everything done. The DNA is implanted and everything." She tells me.
I breathe a sigh if relief and sink back into my pillow.
"What are we going to do in the mean time?" She asks, her soft eyes meeting my gaze.
"I don't know. I haven't figured it out." I tell her, lying through my teeth. I know exactly what I'm going to propose to Father to end this war.
"Maybe you could continue tasks on earth." She offers.
"Maybe."
"Or even lock you in a cell down in Hell until those wings are gone." She says, obviously half joking with the playful smirk she carries on her features.
"Yeah, maybe." I tell her. I think to myself about how to propose the idea to Father. Maybe a meeting with Satan and him would be good. They could also make it a public ceremony. I shudder, thinking about what I am proposing for myself. Unfortunately, only the deepest nightmare I have can solve this problem.
I try to send a mind link to Father to make a meeting, but my mind is still too foggy and clouded, so I'm left with a headache instead.
I let the conversation drop and I stare at the ceiling for a while.
I'm sure it's been more than a few minutes when Father walks in. He looks exhausted.
"How are you?" He asks, approaching my bed side.
"I want to have a meeting between you and Satan. ASAP." I blurt out. Mother gives me a questioning expression, but I dismiss it.
"Why?" Father inquires.
"Because I need to talk to you both."
"Fine. We can meet here. I'll have to escort him so he doesn't get attacked." He tells me. I look closer at Father and notice a long scar running from the corner of his eye to his jaw. Dried blood is crusted onto his shoulder, indicating that the wound was fairly recent.
Without another word, Father spins on his heel and leaves the room.
"I wonder how the hell this prophecy will really unfold." I tell her.
"Yeah really. Is it really about you?" She wonders out loud.
"It would be rather interesting either way. I have no desire to take over heaven or hell. I just don't get it."
"If its anyone though, I sure hope it's you." She tells me.
We sit in silence for a few minutes, waiting for Father and Satan to come back. I watch mother read her book, her eyes moving with each line on the page and her chewing her lip. Her soft brown hair falls over her shoulders, this time not tied up in the usual bun.
I'm broken from my thoughts as Father and Satan come through the doorway. Mother looks up at them and leaves without a word.
"We are going to make an agreement." I tell them, sitting up in my bed.

"Who gives you the right to force an agreement?" Satan counters.

"I give myself the right because this entire fucking war is about me and its getting old." I tell him, glaring at him.

Nether answer or object, so I continue.

"I have no desire to rule heaven or hell. You guys are fighting over nothing and its complete bullshit. Let's just cut these fuckers off and call it day. We can get on with our lives and stop wasting our resources." I tell them forcefully. Both look annoyed yet sorry about my words.

"I'm afraid the masses aren't going to respond to that." Father responds.

"Make them respond. We will make it a ceremony. Like you did when you ripped my wings off that one time. I don't fucking care anymore. I just want this to be done with." I tell them.

"Are you actually serious? You're going to put yourself through that again?" Father asks.

"I'm dead serious. It will be something you need to work out. I'm not going to take this shit anymore. I can't live an eternity and fear in heaven not can I stick with the rigid training in Hell. Both of you know that's unrealistic."

"But why? You're going to have a part of you ripped off. You can't even heal. How's that supposed to work out for you?" Satan asks, speaking up for the first time.

"Then we will wait until I can heal. But no longer than that. There is your timeline." I tell them firmly.

"It's a deal." Father says, holding his hand out for Satan to shake in agreement. Satan hesitates for a few moments before giving in and sealing the agreement. They both stand up and leave, the use presence replaced by mother, who looks visibly upset.

"You were listening, weren't you?" I ask her. She nods her head and sits by my bed.

"Why? Why would you do something like that to yourself? You have nightmares about it almost every time you sleep."

"Its okay, I'm sure Wolf will make something to numb it before hand."

"It's still gonna hurt like a bitch. What if you don't heal?"

"I will heal. We are waiting to do this until I can heal properly." I assure her, trying to forget the horrible parts of the torture I just committed myself to.

"What if it breaks you again?" She asks, more emotion than before evident in her voice.

"Then I will deal with it. I've dealt with it before, I can deal with it now." I tell her, trying to make her drop the subject. I know she is trying to give me second thoughts, but I push down the thoughts and think about different sword fighting techniques.

After a while my thoughts slip away and I'm lulled into a dreamless sleep.