Chapter 17

I stopped at the door that blocked me from my mother's view as well as Aenes. My heart was heavy because I could not be in the room with them while they did their thing, and I had no idea to tell my beautiful mate that I would not be joining her.

Serenity stopped at the door and looked at me. She studied me with her intelligent blue eyes, and I could tell that she knew I wouldn't be able to go with her. "You're not coming," she stated.

I smiled sadly and shook my head. "No," I replied. "My mom suggested that you do this by yourself." I squeezed her hand and placed a soft kiss on it. "However, I will get to see you again soon."

Serenity cocked her head and furrowed her brows. "How?" she asked. "How will you get to see me soon?"

"I still have to show you around town," I reminded her, and her eyes grew wide. I bit back a small smile, thinking that she was super adorable while her cheeks grew rosier than normal while she blushed.

"Right," she said, and she looked down, her hair covering her rosy cheeks. "I forgot that you were supposed to show me around town. It slipped my mind."

I bit back a chuckle and nodded. "I know," I replied. I moved a hand through her hair, enjoying the sparks, and cleared my throat. "I don't know what is going to happen, but Mom said that you would realize you were late for our meeting."

Serenity hesitated but nodded. "So, will you wait for me by the tree?" she asked, her eyes shining with hope.

I nodded. "I will," I promised. "With Melody by my side." My stomach growled, and a small blush appeared on my cheeks, and my mate grinned. "After I eat first," I said, hesitantly. I hadn't eaten anything yet since last night, and I was starting to feel it.

Serenity let out a melodious laugh, and it made my heart grow lighter. A small smile appeared on her face, and she nodded. "Ok," she said, her voice having a soft chuckle in it. "As long as you'll be there." She cocked her head and studied me. "Do you know when?"

I shook my head. "Aenes and my mother will let me know when," I replied. I bit back a sigh and let go of my mate's hands, missing her touch already. "I'll see you at the tree," I promised.

Serenity looked like she missed my touch as well but nodded. Surprising me, and maybe herself, she hugged me tight, and I went still before I hugged her close to me. "I'll see you at the tree," she whispered, her voice cracking.

I buried my face into her hair and took in her addictive scent, soothing myself, and my wolf. "I will see you at the tree," I promised. I kissed the top of her head and pulled away from her, my heart sinking. "You might want to go inside," I said, nodding my head to the door, "before my mom comes out and interrupts us."

Serenity frowned but nodded. "Ok," she said. "See you soon?"

I nodded. "See you soon," I replied, and with that, she turned away from me and went into the room, taking my heart with her while she closed the door behind her retreating figure.

***

Two hours passed, and I was near our waiting spot with Melody at my side like I had promised my mate.

I was nervous, anxious even because I had no idea what Aenes did to my mate. I had no idea if she remembered anything from this morning or if she thought that this whole thing was a dream.

"Do you think that she knows about the kiss?" Melody asked, and I shook my head, no. She sighed and tucked her chin, gently, to her chest and sighed. "I can't believe that she had kissed you."

I wanted to touch my lips, feeling the sparks that had happened between us like I always did when I thought about the kiss, but I didn't. I shrugged and cleared my throat. "I know," I replied. "I was shocked, more shocked when I went to kiss her, and she decided to let me kiss her."

Melody furrowed her brows and looked at me. "Why?" she asked, confused. She cocked her head and studied me, and I had to turn my head so that I didn't look at her critical gaze. "She is your mate."

I moved a hand through my hair and sighed before I nodded. "I know," I replied. "However, I didn't expect her to do it so soon. She doesn't even have her wolf yet, but she had the urge to kiss me."

She shrugged. "Well, she did," she replied. "You should be happy that she did kiss." She gave me a pointed look, and I rolled my eyes.

"I am," I replied. "I am happy that she did kiss me because it meant that she felt something for me just as much as I felt something for her."

Melody snorted and rolled her eyes. "Mom said that she had already felt the sparks between the two of you, so of course, she was going to feel something for you." She grinned when I scowled. "Who knew that a female could turn you into a lovesick pup," she teased, and I rolled my eyes.

"Wait until you meet your mate," I shot back, and she pursed her lips in disgust. "You will be acting the same way, and you better hope that he acts the same to you."

Melody raised an eyebrow. "Why?" she asked. She cocked her head and studied me. "Why should he act like a lovesick pup when he is with me?"

"Because if not, then you better reject him," I replied, feeling very protective of my younger sister. "He needs to treat you like a queen. Anything lower, then he is not worth it."

"And what if I don't treat him like a king?" she shot back. "Does he have the right to reject me?"

I nodded. "Yes," I replied. "However, he is still going to get punched."

"What?" Melody asked with a startled laugh. "Why?"

"Because he rejected you," I replied as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, and he would've broken your heart."

She placed her hands on her hips and raised an eyebrow. "What if I break his heart?" she asked. "And that is the reason why he rejected me?"

I raised an eyebrow and placed my hands on my hips, mocking her, and earned a snort and an eye roll from her end. "What would you have done to break his heart?" I asked, raising my eyebrow further.

She furrowed her brows and cocked her head while she pursed her lips. Her eyes had this glassy look in them while she thought about what she could do to break his heart before she shrugged her shoulder. "I don't know," she replied. "Would you hit him then?"

"Yes," I replied, nodding my head. I cocked my head while I thought about the future when she found her mate and broke his heart, and shrugged. "But not as hard."