Chapter 14

"Mom?" I called out, entering the kitchen to see that it was empty. I squeezed Serenity's hand when she placed it in mine and waited for my mother to appear from wherever she had hidden herself to make it seem like she hadn't followed us.

Mom walked into the kitchen from the dining room, and in her arms was a tub of ice cream with a large spoon used to serve people food. "What?" she asked, taking the spoon out of the ice cream and placed it in her mouth. She cocked her head and noticed Serenity's and my solemn expression and furrowed her brows in confusion. She studied us before she looked at me, raising an eyebrow. "Is this something that we should take somewhere private?" she asked, glancing at Serenity before she looked at me.

"Yes, please," I said, nodding my head. I was amused and relieved, glad that Mom was able to act as if she had been doing something other than what she had been doing beforehand. 'Where are we having the meeting?' I asked, cocking my head. I studied her, trying to see if I couldn't come up with the answers because I knew that she wouldn't answer. 'And what do you have planned?'

Mom sent me a small smirk, not answering my questions, and nodded her head. "Follow me then," she said. She started to walk towards the office, still eating from the ice cream. She didn't look back, and I had a feeling that she knew we were following her.

Serenity brushed up against me again, and I looked at her to see that she was looking at my mother. Her eyes were wide, and she looked to be in awe at what she was holding. "Is your mother actually eating ice cream early in the morning?" she asked in a whisper. "With a big spoon?"

I bit back a chuckle and nodded my head. "It's best that we don't question it," I whispered back. I offered her a soft smile when she turned to look at me, her eyes still wide. "She can be a little... moody while she is pregnant."

"I can hear you!" Mom exclaimed in a sing-song voice. She turned towards us and sent us a wink before she turned back around and led us somewhere. There was a bounce in her step, and the air was filled with this easygoingness while this female acted happy. However, I could feel a little underlying threat and knew that this was just the calm before the storm, whatever the storm may be.

"I know you can," I replied, and again she turned towards us. I stuck my tongue childishly at her when she did it to me. "You were supposed to be able to hear it, Mom. If you weren't, then we would have said it telepathically."

Mom's back vibrated while she chuckled, and I knew that she got my message. 'We're meeting Aenes in the secret room,' she said, answering the question. Her back grew tense. 'I don't know if her parents know that she knows, but I don't want them to know for both your safety and the safety of the packs.'

'I don't want to lose her trust, though,' I said, pursing my lips. I didn't want Serenity to lose faith in me if she got scared about Aenes being there. I had no idea what she would do, and I feared for the worse. 'Mom, this was supposed to be between you, her, and me.'

Mom sighed and shook her head. 'This can't be between the three of us, TJ,' she said. 'And I know what you are thinking, and I can tell you that what you are thinking is false.' She turned to look at me, her dark brown eyes heavy. 'She won't lose trust in you, in me, if we tell this in front of Aenes. He needs to be there. Not only for her safety but ours as well.'

I hesitated and watched her turn back around. I studied her, tensed back, and cocked my head. 'Are you telling her that she is in a pack of Werewolves?' I asked, finally coming up with the answer as to why she wanted Aenes there.

Mom hesitated but nodded her head. 'If we tell her that and then do a forgetful spell on here, she will not remember. However, a part of her will know, and that is the part that we will need once the time is right.'

I pursed my lips. 'What if she hates us? What if she hates that we took away her memories? What i-'

'It's the 'what if's' that will get you killed, TJ,' Mom warned. 'I don't know the future, and neither do you. We're going in this blind but for the greater good.' Again, she turned to look back at us with solemn eyes. 'It's our job to protect the packs, especially this one since we are the Alpha family.'

I hesitated but nodded my head, and Mom nodded her head before turning back to the front. I knew that my mother was right. I mean, she was always right, even though I wouldn't admit it to her. However, there were times when I didn't like her being right and wished for those moments; those moments that she said would teach her something else and would help her in the future.

"Are you two talking telepathically?" Serenity asked after the prolonged silence between the three of us. She furrowed her brows and looked between the two of us. "You two seem to be very quiet, and I don't understand why."

"What if we were talking telepathically?" Mom asked. She turned to look at Serenity before she looked forward. She stuffed the spoon back into the ice cream and opened the door to the office. She gestured for us to go in, and we did with her following us after she closed the door.

Serenity shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know," she replied, honestly. "I thought it would be cool. How did you learn it?"

"It's called a family bond," Mom said. She walked over to the books and skimmed the titles, even though she knew which one she had to pull to open a secret passage. "Each family member can communicate with each other via a mind link. There is also a thing called a pack bond, and that bond allows people that are not family members but live in a pack to communicate with each other."

"Wait; what?" Serenity asked, furrowing her brows. She looked at me and then looked at Sam, confusion filling her eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"I am talking about how I can communicate with my son," Mom replied. She pulled the correct book and opened the secret passage. Mom looked at Serenity when she gasped in amazement and offered her a grim smile. "You are not the only one who is a Werewolf."