48. Business Dinner

Start from the beginning

"Are you scared you're gonna lose?" JT taunts.

"I don't want to wreck your pretty face." Dennis smirks. "Race instead."

Jake hesitates. I yank on the back of his jacket twice. Jake, don't. I silently communicate.

"Fine. Same time. Same place. Bring 5K." He ignores me. "Nobody touches what's mine."

Dennis smirks again, holding out a hand. "You got yourself a deal. Bring 2 of your best men."

"I'll bring watchers" JT says.

"Bring your best bike?"

"Bikes." Jake agrees, gripping his hand. Dennis grips back, and they hold for a few minutes, going tighter and tighter until both their knuckles are white. Jake's arm flexes under my touch, and Dennis grimaces in pain, but they don't let go. Ugh, men.

Finally, Dennis grunts in pain and attempts to pull away. Emphasis on 'attempts' Jake continues gripping his hand, despite Dennis squirming in pain and trying to pull away. I slap Jake's arm, and he looks at me. I shoot him a look, and he sighs and lets go.

"Well, the rumors are true...JT of Hawks MC is pussy whipped." Dennis goads, stretching out his fingers.

"At least I have a pussy that willingly wants to fuck." He fires back. "You know, make that 10." I nearly choke on my saliva. TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS?

"You sure you want to lose that much?"

"Oh, I assure you. I won't lose." Jake grabs my hand, and we walk away from there.

Once we get out of hearing range of everyone, I stop in my tracks. "What were you thinking, Jake? No. Were you EVEN thinking?"

"I was thinking that some asshole was touching my girl."

"TEN THOUSAND? REALLY?" I rip my hand outta his. "YOU COULD BUY A CAR FOR THAT."

"Chill, Kase. We've got money for things like this."

"Right." I roll my eyes. "Sure."  

"You know, for someone who came from a millionare family, you'd think a girl wouldn't blink at that number." 

"Jake. You're spending it on stupid, spur of the moment gambling.  You have $10,000 that could be spent on better things for 'just in case' someone touches what's yours?" I huff.

"Yes." He says seriously. 

I sputter, trying to form words.

"Or for ransom purposes. Chill. I have cop friends. That money is trackable, so they can't use it."

"Well, that's relieving. But still!"

"Baby. Calm down. It's going to be fine. There's no way I'm going to lose. You know I love you and would do anything for you."

"Okay, well I just want to sit down, watch some strangers present, and eat expensive food that I'll regret consuming tomorrow."

"Okay, c'mon then. Dinner is about to be served." He grabs my hand and drags me back into the main hall.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

"Man! Did you have some of that cheesecake?" I turn to Blade.

He rumbles with laughter. "Have some? Kase, Dakota is finishing eating my fourth slice."

I lean over, realizing he's right. "It's so good, hey?

"Mmph-" She nods, her mouth full.

"So, JT. Are we gonna be going to Chicago next month?" Thorn asks.