39. California

"What do you mean?" Dakota leans against my wall with one red licorice strand in her mouth, staring at me with disbelief.

"What do you think I meant? It's pretty self-explanatory, I'd say."

"Jake fucked up, I can't trust anyone, I'm going to Cali..."

She frowns. "Forgive me but I think I need more explanation then that!" She cries.

"I'm not going to. Just get out already."

"You can't just all willy-nilly run to California when you have problems!"

"I need answers to these problems." I repeat.

"Okay, okay. I get it! I do. Just this...honestly seems like a crazy Dakota thing. Not a Kasey thing." She points the licorice in my direction.

"I can't trust anyone or anything right now, so I'm leaving. Just let me go." I huff, snatching the licorice from her.

She holds up her hands defensively. "You honestly think this will help you? Because all I see is it causing problems."

I turn away from her and continue to pack my stuff.

"Kasey. I understand if you wanna go all hermit for a couple days, we all feel like this sometimes. But what we don't ALL do is run like a scared rabbit away from the situation!"

"A scared rabbit?" I snort, remembering how much I love this girl. I've been friends with her for more than a dozen years, I should be talking to her about this, not running away to find answers.

I hesitate. "Look. Kota..." My words drift away. You made a decision now STICK WITH IT. Nobody's gonna change your mind.

"PLEASE! THINK! Your NYCB audition is in legit 3 days!"

"I know. I'll fly there from Cali I suppose." I scratch my head.

"You're crazy. You DO realize that Alondra's gonna go all mental bitch on your ass, right?"

I sigh. "I know. I'm sorry in advance. This is just something I need to do."

She sighs in defeat. "Well, I've been there before, and I'm not gonna stop you now. Do you have everything you need for that audition?"

"Um, yeah."

She opens up my audition bag, checking inside of it. "Pointe shoes, makeup...change of outfits. Hella lot of bobby pins....Lady. Where's your hair dye?"

"Remember? I'm not using it. I'm going by my Dad's name..?"

"RIGHT! Okay, never mind then." She zips it up and grabs it and my carryon, following me into the kitchen.

"Dakota, thanks for not fighting this."

"Well I understand. Life's tough sometimes. You won't tell me exactly why you're leaving, but it is what it is. Be safe, okay bestie?" she looks worried.

"I will."

"And come back. Please."

I snort. "Yeah, I will eventually. Don't have too much fun."

"Ah, no I'm probably just gonna paint. I haven't had much peace and quiet to do that lately." She winks.

"Okay, stop. It was ONCE!" I blush. "Actually more than once that day, but whatever." I mutter. "When I come back I want to see the 'masterpiece' you've been working on." I add.

"Umm, okay. Fine." She shifts on her feet.

"Okay." I drag my bags out to the car.

"And you're 110% sure you don't want me to drive you to the airport?"