the ring

colbys point of view

december 2nd

"don't worry about it. adelaide can't find out." i told tara. she nodded before she connected her phone to my car as i began driving.

we were going to rodeo drive to look for a ring. of course, i asked tara to help me pick or design it because chances are, if she likes it then adelaide will like it.

walking into the jewelry store, i was automatically overwhelmed.

"calm down colby, she'll love any ring because she'll know you picked it. we can just talk to one of the workers." tara said, noticing i was overwhelmed. i nodded to her as a woman, probably in her thirties, walked over to us.

"hi guys! i'm missy! can i help you with anything?" she asked, smiling.

"uh yeah, hi. i'm colby and this is my friend, tara. i'm looking for an engament ring for my girlfriend." i said, not really knowing how to reply.

"oh great! i can help you out with that. who's the lucky girl?!" she said, acting very excited.

"her name is adelaide... she's the love of my life." i smiled.

"awh i'm so happy for you! how long have you been together?" she asked me.

"about a year and a half... kinda." i replied laughing, thinking about the break we took.

"alright so do you have anything in mind?" missy asked me.

"um it has to be noticeable. she loves jewelry so it has to pop out from the rest of her rings. " i replied.

"okay and do we have a budget for the ring " she asked me.

"not really. i just want her to be happy." i told her as she smiled at me.

she offered us champagne, tara denying since she's underaged.

"so do you have any pictures of adelaide?" she asked. i'm assuming she was asking so she could get to know her style before showing us any rings.

i showed her a few of my favorite pictures of adelaide.

"she's very beautiful. i can tell how much you love her by the way you were looking at her picture." she said, smiling. i awkwardly smiled back

"thanks... i really do love her. i couldn't live without her." i said, smiling a real smile now.

she nodded and told us to follow her to a certain section of the store. she showed us some very nice and expensive rings but none of them screamed adelaide.

"i like this one." i said pointing down to a certain extra sparkly one.

"that's a tacori ring. i believe this one is $8,095." she said, getting it from the case.

i held the ring in my hand for a few minutes before deciding it wasn't the one and handing it back to her. she nodded.

"i think adelaide would like one that's more subtle for the engagement ring and then really pull out a banger for the wedding ring." tara inputted and missy nodded again.

"so i'm going to assume you're the best friend?" missy asked tara.

"i am. adelaides the best person i've ever met." tara smiled. i loved their friendship... it was good for adelaide to have someone like tara in her life.

"well she's very lucky to have you both." she said. "you could actually do a custom ring as well if you want to. obviously, that will be a little pricier but that's up to you."

"i actually have a drawing of a ring. it's kind of smimilar to adelaides moms ring in terms of the engagement band. she helped pick her moms ring so i know she loves it." i told her, pulling the drawing out of my pocket.

"oh, that's beautiful! i'm assuming you'd like a custom ring then?" she asked.

"yeah, she deserves a one of a kind ring." i smiled

"was there a brand you had in mind to customize with? you could always do one brand for the engagement and another for the wedding ring." she suggested.

"she loves cartier. i've gotten her a few things from there so maybe that for the engament ring. and that's honestly the only brand i know for rings." i laughed.

"adelaide would love a tacori ring." tara suggested.

missy helped us look into the types of rings and i was very confused but by the end, we had the engagement and wedding band ordered for customization. we were there for 3 hours trying to make it perfect. i vlogged a good bit of the ring process and the customization, knowing adelaide would love to have it for the wedding video or the announcement video. or just to have for the two of us.

so like imagine this but not as chunky and like cuter yeah^

it was late when we got back so i went into the house before tara so adelaide didn't know we were together. jake knew where we were going but i didn't want adelaide to get suspicious.

i couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. granted we haven't been together for very long, but i knew she was the one. i didn't feel like myself when she wasn't around. now i just need to figure out how i'm going to propose.

i walked into our bedroom, adelaide sitting up to look at me as i walked through the door.

"hi." i smiled to her.

"hi." she replied "why're you so happy? what did you and brennen do?" she smirked at me, laughing. i laughed with her. i lied to her and told her i was hanging out with brennen.

"how was brennen?" she asked me.

"um. he was good. he said we all need to hangout soon." i lied to her.

"awh i miss him." she said.

"what'd you do while i was gone?" i asked her.

"i was editing a video. but then i got bored and went online shopping." she laughed.

"did you order anything?" i laughed.

"a few things. just some clothes and a necklace." she told me.

i can't wait to propose to her.

- a chapter from my story xplr