Chapter One Hundred-and-Five

The nadaswaram and thavil players led the way playing the auspicious music. Bhavani carried a pot of burning coals on top of her head and held a golden staff in her right hand as she walked behind them. Aditya Varma and Mrithyunjay flanked her on either sides and the foot soldiers followed behind.

"I hope you are fine, Bhavani", said Mrithyunjay. "We are very near."

Bhavani inclined her eyes in his direction, "I am Bhavagaru."

He looked towards her bare feet. Beneath the glittering golden anklets, blood was oozing from the cracks on her feet. He gave her an accusatory glance.

Aditya Varma patted Mrithyunjay's back, "It's alright, Mrithyunjay. A good ointment and a night's sleep will heal everything, isn't it Bhavani?"

"Of course, uncle. The path has been unusually thorny. I stepped across several of them while walking", she replied. "It literally looked as though somebody had generously strewn them all across the path like flower petals."

Mrithyunjay's eyes raised up in concern, "That's very strange. The entire path was throughly cleaned and inspected. I saw for myself. Did somebody do it on purpose?"

"Why would somebody do this?" Aditya Varma asked. "What do they gain by delaying us?"

"Shall we discuss these matters in the evening?" A miffed Bhavani said. "The kids must have been playing a prank. That's all. We are already late. Everyone must be anxiously waiting for us."

After being scolded by Bhavani, they walked ahead silently for a while. Just the music from the nadaswaram and the drum beats resounded through the air. The nadaswaram players who were walking ahead stopped blowing into their instruments. Their fingers stopped moving. The percussionists stopped beating their thavil. One of them shouted, "The path ahead is blocked. There are huge tree trunks lying on either side of the path."

Mrithyunjay and Aditya Varma caught each other's eye. Their faces flushed red. They sprinted ahead as did the soldiers following behind them. They looked towards Bhavani who was approaching them and towards the blocked path.

Varma wiped his forehead as he exclaimed, "Oh my God!"

Mrithyunjay hurried up the soldiers, "Fast, fast. Clear the path. She is almost here."

The sinewy muscles of the soldiers strained against the trunks. They pushed and heaved at several of them. All the other trunks had been cleared. Two more trunks lay blocking the path. Bhavani had almost reached them

Mrithyunjay grunted, "Ah..."

He summoned all his latent strength and lifted the trunk lying on the right side and supported it against his back. Aditya Varma and the soldiers held the other tree trunk against their backs. There was enough space for Bhavani to walk through without stopping.

The tree trunks fell down with a thud. Mrithtunjay, Aditya Varma and the soldiers hastily recovered themselves and followed Bhavani. The nadaswaram and thavil music began once again.

Bhagiradhi came outside the temple premises. She said to Gajendra, "It's taking a very long while. They should have been here by now."

Gajendra agreed, "True. The crowds have become difficult to manage. They are becoming highly impatient."

He gestured to ask about his baby son, Avanindra Baahubali. Bhagiradhi said, "He's sleeping. I left him with my mother-in-law. Have you by any chance seen Shivaansh? I have been searching for him since a while."

"Don't worry, Akka. He was playing hide-and-seek with the other kids. I will go and bring him."

Gajendra inquired a group of soldiers who stood on guard duty, "Did you see Shivaansh?"