Chapter One Hundred-and-Four

Bhagiradhi discussed about the Agni Prastham and everything the ministers were planning for the festival with Mrithyunjay as he lay beside her at night. He listened to her words but did not reply.

"How long are you going to hold on to that grievance?"

Mrithyunjay stiffened as Bhagiradhi continued to speak, "That's why I never wanted the power to decide. One decision can never please all. You lose more people than you gain. But what choice did I have when Gajendra refused to take the responsibility of kingship? I lost you and gained this crown."

He clenched his fists. She unloosened them gently with her thin, and delicate fingers, "You distanced yourself away from me and even Shivaansh. Our son leans more towards my brother for solace and that fatherly figure. Not that it is a bad thing. But Shivaansh is growing older. And Gajendra has his own family to take care of. Shivaansh needs his own father."

Mrithyunjay growled in a low voice, "You are being unjust. I have been away from Mahishmati on my duty. But it had nothing to do with our differences."

"I know I have hurt you. I am sorry. I give up my pride and ask. Won't you forgive me? Everything seems empty", she said shaking her head.

Mrithyunjay closed his eyes as he melted before Bhagiradhi's words. He wrapped his arms around her, "I am sorry. I was too harsh. I judged you when I should have stood beside you."
-
-
-
The next few days were hectic and filled with activity. The common people of Mahishmati were very excited about celebrating the Agni Prastham festival.

The carpenters and craftsmen finished shaving, carving, tapering, fixing and putting everything into place. The Demon of Drought stood amidst the field of paddy with its ripened and drooping stacks that threatened to spill over.

His eyes were blood-red and held the onlookers in a petrifying stare. His teeth protruded out of his mouth and red paint trickled from its sides to complete the grim and daunting picture. His gargantuan proportions loomed covering the entire field in his dark shadow. His nails were sharp and pointed like steel blades.

The head carpenter stood inspecting the finished work making last minute touches and minor patch work while all his workers returned home. The minister and soldiers were expected on the morrow. They would transport this wooden effigy to the forest fortress where the temple of Lord Shiva was situated.

Metal feet stomped against the hard ground. He turned behind.

"Who are you? Who are all these people?"

His hands and legs started shaking in fear. His voice was hoarse. He plummeted on the ground and started crawling backwards. He hiccupped. A hint of steel gleamed in Subahu's hands. Its tip raced towards the carpenter whose eyes closed in terror. They never opened after that.

The day of Agni Prastham came. The minister and soldiers arrived. They looked around for the head carpenter. One of his assistants said, "The effigy is ready. The wheels have also been fitted for easy transportation. You can take it if you want. I will inform my master."

The soldiers tied two ropes to the hands of the effigy and started pulling him. One of the soldiers gasped for breath as he exclaimed, "This effigy is a real beast. My arms are terribly sore from pulling."

The rope tied to the right arm snapped. The minister shook his head, "Tie another thicker rope and pull. We are getting late."

They reached the higher ground. Rocks and stones were strewn across the path that led to the fortress. One of the wheels got stuck on a rock. The soldiers huffed and pushed. The Demon of Drought refused to budge even an inch.

"It's stuck. We need more help", the soldiers said confessing their inability to the minister standing beside them.

"Go and seek help from the villagers. We need to transport this effigy before Rani Bhavani reaches the venue."

One of the soldiers ran ahead to get help. He came back with some villagers. After a few more hurdles and obstacles, the effigy arrived at its destination. The minister and soldiers stationed the effigy outside the entrance of the temple before they went inside to manage the crowds that had started thronging the temple in huge numbers.

Bhagiradhi held little Avanindra. Her hips swayed this way and that. Avanindra kept reaching out to grab things within his reach. She turned and gave him a mock stare before she continued giving instructions, "Keep all the things ready for the fire sacrifice. Where are the coconuts?"

She glanced around to see where Shivaansh and the other kids were. They were gathered around her mother-in-law, Katyayani.

With a look of relief, she proceeded to perform other chores before Bhavani would arrive along with Mrithtunjay and Aditya Varma.

Gajendra joined her, "I have finished inspecting the temple and its surrounding areas. When are Bhavani and the others arriving?"

"They will be arriving in a short while. I think you must go outside and wait for them", she said.

Gajendra assented and stepped outside the temple. He paced back and forth near the entrance. He gently patted and caressed the temple elephant kept in readiness for the Agni Prastham ritual.

He walked up to the wooden effigy and rested his back against it. He closed his eyes. A shadow fell upon him. He had the eerie impression that the demon was watching him. His eyes opened wide. He looked up at the colossal figure that towered over him. He shook his head, "My eyes are playing tricks with me. That's all."

Within, Katyayani had finished regaling the children with her tale, "....And the demon died. We commemorate his death once in every twenty-six years. The daughter-in-law of the royal family walks the Agni Prastham to ensure the peace and prosperity of this kingdom."

Shivaansh was filled with curiosity, "Nanamma, does this mean we don't have to face any more demons or enemies?"

She laughed shaking her head, "Every generation has to battle its own set of demons. Your parents, your uncle and your Bhavani Pinni fought them and emerged victorious. You and Avanindra will have to do the same when your time comes. And not all enemies have to be external. Sometimes our biggest enemies lie within. You have to battle and defeat them."

"Can we go outside the temple and play?" Shivaansh asked after the story was over.

"Alright, don't go too far", Katyayani said raising a warning finger. The kids hopped and skipped, talking happily among themselves.

"Let's play hide and seek. I will count to hundred. The rest of you will hide."

The boy closed his eyes with his palms and started counting, "One, two, three..."

"I bet none of you will be able to find me", Shivaansh boasted to his other friends while scampering around for a place to hide.

"Where are you going to hide?" One of his friends asked pulling his sleeve.

"It's a secret. I am not telling you", Shivaansh wagged his finger playfully.

He ran outside the temple premises almost knocking into Gajendra.

"Sorry, Mama", he apologized holding his ear. "I'm in a hurry. I have to hide."

"But where?" Gajendra asked.

Shivaansh ran off without replying him. Having other urgent matters to attend to, Gajendra brushed it to the back of his mind.