Chapter Seventy-One

On the outskirts of the capital of Mahishmati,
The tribal army had been stationed in the outskirts. A couple of hours intervened between the hour of dawn. An officer dragged one of the tribal men out of his bed.

"Follow me", he ordered.

"Where are we going, Dora?" The tribal's teeth chattered in the cold air.

"Stop your chit-chat. You'll know when we reach there."

He showed him a lonely cave, "I'll wait outside. Clean up this cave in ten minutes."

The tribal accomplished the task entrusted to him. He stealthily glanced this way and that before he drilled a hole into the wall of the cave and covered it with a hollow piece of bamboo bark.

The officer who was waiting outside was becoming impatient. He tapped his feet against the wall of the cave, "How long is it taking for you to clean?"

"Almost done, Dora. This cave has been unused for years", the tribal replied. He hastened outside.

"Go and join the others", the officer said. He dismissed the tribal man while he stayed back to maintain watch over the cave.

The tribal withdrew with a deep and low bow to the officer. He crept up from the other end towards the place where he had drilled the hole in the cave. He settled down near the hollow end.

He heard three distinct voices from within the cave. He edged closer to overhear everything.

"There is a change in plans. Instead of the unrest we planned to create over Narasimhas no-show at the Yuvaraju Pattabhishekam, we will assassinate him during the royal march towards the venue."

"It will be difficult to murder him during the march. His royal guard will be accompanying him."

"I have tampered and changed several orders. The present royal guard will comprise the tribals whom we enlisted."

"Ha! Ha! Ha! They will be of no use to Narasimha in times of emergency."

"Yes, that's why they will be positioned there. The procession will pass through the seven major streets in the capital. Contingents loyal to us will be placed in the fifth street. The moment Narasimha enters with his guard, my forces will slaughter him. Subahu will be shocked. He will try to save his son. The tribals in the royal guard will be unwittingly obstructing his approach till the deed is done."

"What next?"

"Our private army will surround and take the forces loyal to Subahu by surprise. I will kill Subahu myself."

"Such a fool-proof plan!"

"I spent many years planning it. It ought to be fool-proof."

Suddenly, there was a deadly silence. The tribal peered into the hole to see why he was unable to hear anything. His eyes met a pair of ominous, slimy red eyes glaring back at him from the other side of the hollow. He fell back terrified. He covered himself with a black woollen blanket. A loud voice assailed his ears, "Kill him."

They had all been cheated. He had to inform his companions and the Prince about the plan. He hid himself on a steep ledge. He scribbled something on the tip of his blanket. He hastily tore that edge and tied it to the feet of his pet parrot before he sent it away.

After that, he jumped down and swam across the river to the other bank. He looked behind him. His pursuers had reached the opposite bank. An arrow pierced his back. He sprinted ahead unmindful of his own personal injury.
-
-
-
At the Palace,
Narasimha bowed to take the blessings of Subahu and Eiravati. Subahu held him close to his heart. Eiravati stood back and watched both father and son. The guilt that she hid the truth from them momentarily faded into the background.