Chapter Nine

Shodasi Devi spoke in a hurried and breathless voice, "There is a lot I have to tell and explain. But this is neither the time nor place for it. I have come with all the men at my disposal. They will lay down their lives protecting us. But even that might not be enough. All of us are in great danger. Let it suffice if I tell you that Subahu, or Kalanemi as you know him, is your own cousin brother and a contender for the throne of Mahishmati. He is the illegitimate offspring of your Uncle Bhallaladeva and the Kalakeya Princess, Kamaroopi. You will have to instantly return to Mahishmati."

Mahendra instantly understood that the situation was very complicated and that there were wheels within wheels. All that he knew was that his people were in terrible danger and he had to return immediately to his motherland. "We have to return to Mahishmati at the earliest possible before it is too late. Your army is still loyal to you. You have to regroup them and take on Subahu and his allied army comprising the Kalakeyas and Vijayamarthanda's forces. It is better we leave Avanthika and the children here itself under the protection of my men for their own safety."

There were two Arab stallions that were faster than air kept in readiness for both of them by Shodasi Devi's men. Mahendra mounted one of them when Avanthika demurred, "Take me also with you. I am also a warrior. I will fight alongside you. I will fight till my last breath for you and Mahishmati. Please...."

"Just because I am not taking you with me does not mean I suspect your bravery or valor. Our children here need you more than me. They are the future. Take care of them", said Mahendra catching hold of her hand to reassure her.

Just them an arrow whizzed past cutting the air between both of them. Instinctively, both of them stepped back. Shodasi Devi blared her orders to her men, "Saavadhana! On your guard! Surprise night attack!"

Holding a hand-held lantern in hand, Mahendra climbed the nearest tree to have a better view of what was happening from a vantage point. With a sigh, he exclaimed, "It's all over. A massive enemy force is fast approaching us. We are heavily outnumbered and surrounded from all three sides."

He was trying to deduce and rethink the possibilities and options they had before them in his mind's eye when another arrow raced towards his right eye. He caught it just in time before it hit him. He got down and quickly put out the lantern and the bonfire so that the smoke and light would not give away their exact location in the forest, "Pedamma (Aunt), I don't know if we will see each other again or not. Please take away Bhagiradhi and Gajendra and go away from here with your men."

In the utter darkness and deafening silence around them, Mahendra pointed towards the direction in which the Mandakini was flowing. That was their line of retreat and escape from there. Avanthika instantly understood what was running through her husband's mind. She too drew her sword. Both she and Mahendra were to remain behind stalling and fighting off the enemy, while Shodasi Devi and their children, taking advantage of the darkness of the night would get the time and opportunity to retreat and escape from there. Shodasi's feet were hesitating to go from there, "Both of you also come with me. All of us can escape from here."

"Pedamma, both you and I know it is impossible for all of us to get out of here. Ancient wisdom says 'To save the family, abandon a man; to save the village, abandon a family; to save the country, abandon a village!' Here I am asking you to do the same. Sacrifice me and Avanthika to save our future. Bhagiradhi and Gajendra are our future. Keep them safe. Please promise me!"

"At least let my men remain with both of you", pleaded Shodasi Devi.

"You will need all of them to protect you and the children. As for me, do I need an army to protect me when I have my wife beside me? Na Avanthika thaanu oka sainyaniki samaanam! (My Avanthika is herself equivalent to an entire army!)

Shodasi Devi was still reluctant to listen to him and go from there. She did not seem convinced by his words. She tried to argue, "Still Mahendra...."

Mahendra with calm resignation and acceptance; unfazed by the impending doom that stood before him and oozing regality and majesty from every fiber of his body and soul, "Idhe naa maata, naa maate sasanam!" (This is my word, and my word is an ordinance!)

Mahendra and Avanthika stood defending with a smile on their eyes as their children and Shodasi prepared to beat the retreat with their men. "From now on, she is both your mother and father. Take care of your brother.Listen to whatever she tells. Do not trouble her", Mahendra spoke to Bhagiradhi. The innocent child asked, "Are you and mother going somewhere very far that you are talking like this?"

A heavy lump formed in his throat as he choked, "A very distant country from where there is perhaps no return!" Fighting back her tears, Shodasi Devi securely tied Gajendra to her back with the saree with which Avanthika had made the makeshift cradle while she led Bhagiradhi with her hands to her Arab charger. She seated Bhagiradhi before her on the horse and got behind her and took the reins in her hands and started riding very fast along with her men.

The weather had suddenly turned inclement. Lightening flashed and thunder claps roared across the night skies. A stormy wind started blowing. In a way, it was proving to be advantageous to them as it was slowing down the progress of the advancing enemy force. In a way, it was proving to be detrimental to their interests. The Mandakini was in spate making it literally impassable and impossible to cross. Shodasi and her men were struggling to cross the raging and flooded stream along with the children on their horses as the water level kept rising steadily.

Mahendra and Avanthika turned back one last time to catch a glimpse of all their loved ones and capture that within their eyes for an eternity. Disjointed and unconnected images of the recent past flitted across his mind as Mahendra stood facing the enemy with a steely resolve.

Author's Note: Friends, I am trying to the best of my abilities to bring this story to life. I don't know if this is reaching you or not, whether you are able to connect with the characters and their motivations or not. If you have been reading this story and following it, please give me your feedback.