Chapter Twenty-Two

Near Dharmagupta's Gurukul,
While they were nearing the Gurukul, Subahu extracted a solemn promise from his son, "Narasimha, promise me one thing. Until you complete your education at this Gurukul, do not reveal anywhere that you are the son of Maharaj Subahu of Mahishmati. Kings often have more enemies than friends. Even now, we are traveling in the disguise of merchants. Maintain the same at the Gurukul with your friends. School days are the best period in any person's life. By revealing your true identity you would put yourself and the others around you in constant danger. Those who cannot face me directly will surely try to make use of this chance to get even with me."

"But will not your Guru recognize his own student?" asked Narasimha.

Subahu replied, "No, only students can enter beyond this point. Arrangements for the stay of parents have been made elsewhere. All the prospective students will be constantly and continuously screened, tested and scrutinized for three days and nights. Those who fail to secure admission will be sent along with their parents after three days. Those who succeed will stay here until they complete their education and training."

Narasimha agreed, "Alright, father. I will not reveal that I am the Prince of Mahishmati. I will remain like a commoner." With a mischievous smile on his lips, he asked, "But father, I might fail in your Guru's test too, can't I? Then I won't have to leave you and mother. I could stay with you forever."

Subahu said, "You will not do anything of that sort. I know my son's true potential. Even I might occasionally fail in whatever I do, but my son will not. By willfully failing in this test, you will not prove your love for me or your mother. Only by staying away from us and completing your education, you will prove yourself worthy of our love, trust and belief in you. I am leaving my son, Narasimha here today. I want you to return as the future king of Mahishmati. Will you do that, Son?"

Narasimha was extremely touched by his father's faith and belief in him. Holding back the tears that were threatening to overflow his eyes, he said, "Father, you are the best. You are my idol. I will try to live up to your faith and expectations on me."

Narasimha's feet refused to budge from that point. He kept turning over his back again and again to look at his father. He had never stayed away from his home and parents. They were his whole world to him. He knew no other. Now he was expected to explore a new world, a new life and new people. He did not know how to adjust and live with this change.

Subahu encouraged him, "Go on, Son! I cannot come with you beyond this point. You cannot live in my shadow forever. You have to carve your own destiny and path."

Narasimha replied, "Father, I will go now today so that I can come prepared to fight alongside you in all your battles, shoulder to shoulder."

Subahu poignantly replied, "I will look forward to that day, Son!

Subahu felt an odd lump in his throat. His chest got constricted with emotion on hearing these words. There was no one in this whole wide world who loved him so much and so unconditionally as his son, Narasimha. Everyone in his small world, even the people who loved him and whom he loved, like his mother and Eira, came with their clauses and conditions, "If you are like this, I will love you......If you do this, I will love you.....If you avenge me and our clan, we will love you....."

If there was one small thing for which he longed and which he had been always deprived, it was unconditional love. As a child he had been deprived of the love, care and affection of his father. He had been taught and brainwashed by his mother, Kamaroopi to hate an integral part of himself, his father and everything connected with his father.

He was taught to identify with his mother and her people alone. But this had left an irreparable void in his psyche. If only he had his father along with him during his formative years.....if only he hadn't been taught to hate his father and his father's people, his journey might have been different.