Selfish Desire

Michael Jackson

In my hospital bed, I was thinking of the day Adrianna asked me to divorce her and in contrast how happy she is every moment she spends with her mom in this timeline.

The door is abruptly opened by Donny, interupting me from my thoughts, and a glaring Adrianna steps out from behind him.

I look at Donny and give him a nod. He understands immediately and leaves the room to give me and Adrianna some privacy.

"Why?" she asks and walks closer to the side of the bed. "Why did you do that? I thought you were going to die. My world became blank, and I couldn't breathe. In that small moment, I was so afraid and scared." tears were starting to form in her eyes. "Every cell in my body was frozen. Like when my mom died."

I turn my eyes away from her. Guilt was all over me again and I can't bear to look at her.

"I was so scared. Because I wasn't your family. They said I wasn't family. I couldn't give consent to your surgery." she continues, her voice cracking. "My partner of 12 years was dying. It was just for a surgery." she clutches on to the fabric of my hospital gown on my arm. "Why did you do that? W-why did you avoid me?"

A deep sigh escapes my mouth before I look at her. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you doing this to me?" Adrianna intertwines her fingers to mine while keeping eye contact with me.

"When I thought I was going to die, I could see then what I was doing to others for my own selfish good."

In that near death experience, I saw what unhappiness arose from my selfish desire, which was to be with Adrianna.

"Since we don't know how to go back anyway.." I start and swallow a lump on my throat. "Adie...let's forget everything. And continue living here with your mother."

"What?"

"I thought I could make it work if I was sincere enough. But it didn't. I don't think I can make you happy."

"Wh-what about Prince? A-a-and Paris?" her tears start to roll down her cheeks.

I avoid her gaze and hold back mine.

"Are you giving up on them?"

"To me, you who is my heart, are more important than our children who have filled up my mind."

Adrianna doesn't answer. She was taken aback by what I said. I cared about her own happiness than my desire to see my children. Adrianna cries and I still avoid looking at her. She wipes her eyes before walking out the door.

Later, a hospital employee returns the pair of rings recovered at the accident. I cry as I look at them and gasp out an apology.

"Prince... Paris... I'm sorry. Daddy's sorry."

I was torn between my thoughts of Adrianna's happiness and my decision not to have my children at all.

*

Adrianna Diaz

That night, I sleep cradled in my mom's arms. Dad was surprised to see me crying but mom just holds me close as I cry myself out.

In the morning, mom wakes me up.

"Adrianna. Someone's at the door." she tucks a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Who?"

"A man."

I make my way outside and see Noah standing there.

"Good morning, Adrianna." he greets me with a smile.

"What's this about? You didn't even let me know you were coming."

"If I did, I know you would've refused."

"I-I'm really not feeling well."

"It's my birthday today. Just hang out with me for the day." he faintly smiles.

I agree to go out with Noah. It didn't take long for me to get ready and we went to our destination. A picnic, complete with packed lunch prepared by Noah himself.

We stop by a river for our picnic and Noah offers the lunch he prepared. I was impressed by the food he made but as soon as I taste them, it was too familiar.

"Hmm..you bought these. They're take outs." I call him out.

"Yeah. I prepared them. I didn't say I cooked them." Noah chuckles.

"I see." I playfully squint my eyes at him and take a bite out of a taco. "This tastes really good. Have some." I say and offer him to take a bite out of his.

We talk more and enjoy the food, the company, and the scenery.

*

Michael Jackson

A knock comes on the door.

"Who is it?" I sit up as the door slowly opened and I see Darryl, Donny and Merle appear.

"I didn't want to go to class so I brought them here with me." Donny says.

"Are you okay?" Merle asks plopping down books on the table beside my bed. "I heard you had surgery. You can read these books incase you're bored."

"What are those?" I point to the grocery bags that Donny was carrying.

"Oh those aren't for you. Those are for us." Merle explains and I motion for Donny to come closer so I could take a peek.

I shake my head and laugh. "Let's go to the rooftop."

We all head up to drink and snack.

"You just had surgery. You shouldn't be having that." Donny says to me pointing at the can of beer in my hand.

"It's not good manners to the alcohol to not have some when it's in front of you." I joke.

"So, I know you were protecting Adrianna that's why you got into this accident." Darryl acknowledges. "The love you have for Adrianna." he sighs and chuckles.

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"The love between you and Adrianna." he answers. "C'mon man, it's obvious you love each other."

"Right." Donny and Merle answer in unison.

I love Adrianna. There was no denying it. I just didn't want her to be unhappy with me. I want her to enjoy every moment here, living with her mom.