Misunderstanding

Michael Jackson

I woke up to the sun hitting my face. I groaned as I tapped the bed looking for my phone but found nothing.I must've left it at Lisa's.

A small knock came on my door. I dragged my feet towards it and opened to see Frank with a cigar on his lips.

"Isn't it too early for that, Frank?" I joked.

"Michael, Lisa saw me at the hall and asked to give you this." he hands me my phone. "She said you left it last night."

I took the phone from him and nodded.

"In her room." Frank chuckled.

"Nothing happened." I shook my head.

--

I headed back to Neverland that afternoon. I was so happy to be home. I didn't have anything scheduled for the next few days so I could use it to catch up on some sleep and be with my wife and children.

"Hey, Adie." I gave her a peck as soon as I see her at the kitchen helping cook dinner with Paris on her hips.

She didn't budge. She completely ignored my presence and continued to stir the pot.

I let out a quick sigh before turning to little Prince tugging on my pants asking me to carry him.

"Hey, little buddy. Do you love daddy?" I picked him up.
My phone rings.

"Oh so it does work." Adie blurted and shuffled through the kitchen throwing ingredients to the concoction.

"What do you mean?" I asked her, clueless.

She didn't answer and just continued what she was doing. If she was going to ignore me, fine. I started to walk to the sitting room carrying Prince with me.

My phone started to ring again and I answered it. It was Frank.

"Michael, I need you to be at an interview tonight. It'll be quick. No but's!" he coughed.

I hung up right after. What else would I say? I couldn't say no, also Adie's mad at me for something I didn't know and I didn't want to deal with it right now.

I took a quick shower and dressed up for the interview Frank had set up. I didn't bother Adie and instead, told the maid to tell her where I'll be in case she asks.

-
The driver dropped me off at a luxury restaurant and funny how there weren't any papparazzi's outside.

The restaurant has been closed down and the way it was decorated wasn't appropriate for an interview. It looked more like a romantic dinner date.

I sat down at the only table that was there with a candle lit on the center and started to dial Frank if I was at the correct place.

"Hey." a very familiar voice spoke from behind me.

It was Lisa. She took the chair in front of me and sat herself down.

"I know you wouldn't agree to dinner with me so I asked Frank." she took a deep breath. "I just really wanted to thank you and apologize for what I did." she looked me in the eyes.

"It's fine, Lisa." I gave her a reassuring smile and she smiled back.

"I hope we could be friends."
"Yeah, me too."

We ate dinner and I pretty much enjoyed her company. She honestly seemed like a genuine person. I checked my wristwatch and saw that it was almost 11.

"I enjoyed tonight. Thanks again, Lisa." I told her as we walked to the exit.

"Thank you too, Michael." she looked at me and I opened the door.

We were met by blinding flashes from cameras of the paparazzi's and the deafening loud voices of the press.

"Michael, is it true that you and Lisa Presley are dating now?"

"Michael! Look to your left!!"

"Michael what can you say about the rumors of you ripping off music from other artists?"

"Lisa! Over here!!"

"Michael! Is it true that you are gay?"

I quickly took Lisa to her limo and I rushed to mine. The driver made a run for it as the crowd started running behind us.

"Are you alright sir?" Javon, my bodyguard, asked.

"Yeah, I am." I answered not looking at him. My phone rang.

"Michael, why didn't you tell me you weren't eating dinner at home? I prepared your favorite soup and I've been waiting on you for hours! You just leave without telling me anything and then I find out from the news that you're on a date with Lisa Presley?" she choked.

"Adie, I'll explain later, alright? I'm really tired." I calmly told her.

"Explain what? That you're cheating on me? You're a liar, Michael! A liar!"

"No, Frank set me up, alright? I was surprised myself to see Lisa there. I was told it was an interview." I tried to explain myself to her.

"So it's another one of those publicity dates then? You know how I feel about those things and you know how I feel about Lisa Presley! And I'm not taking publicity as an excuse this time, Michael because I know damn well you're cheating! You're a liar!"

My fingers massaged the sides of my head as her words rang and echoed in. Soon, the words of the press mixed with her words.

You're a liar!

Michael Jackson, a child molester?

Michael Jackson is gay!

He is nothing but someone who steals music from fellow artists!

"Adie stop it. For once I hope you would just listen to me. It's been so hard. I'm always told what to do and what not to do and I won't allow people to tell me who or what I am. None of it is true!" I snapped at her as a tear escaped my eye.

"I feel so invisible, Michael. I don't feel like we're a family anymore. You always prioritize your work more than us, you're barely home! And when you are home, it's either you're too tired or locked up in that dance studio of yours." she was now crying.

"You know I only do those things for you and our kids. I wanna be able to provide and give everything to both of you. My fans are the reason we could afford the luxury of the world and in return, I want to give them what they want and deserve! What else do I get for this? People using me to jumpstart their careers, being called a liar and a cheat by my wife, wacko, rapist, and gay by the media! Using my words and twisting them to mean something else! I don't understand, I feel so caged. They forget I'm human too. I'm so unhappy with my life right now. I-I regret th--" she cuts me off.

"You're unhappy, Michael? You regret what? Being with me? Why don't you divorce me then?"

"I didn't mean th-- I-I wasn't going t--" I was cut off yet again.

"Divorce me then, Michael! If all I'm causing in your life is unhappiness and regrets! Guess what, I'm unhappy too! I don't feel like I have a husband." she sobbed.

"You're unhappy? You don't like that I give you all the things other girls would be dying for? Fine, Adie! We're getting a divorce then!"

"You don't understand, Michael.." she whispered.

"No, Adie. You don't understand. You're being ungrateful, that's what it is."

I heard her gasp on the other end before hanging up. I threw the phone on the car floor and stared at its broken pieces.