Promises

Adrianna Jackson

I remember walking down the aisle in my big white wedding gown, nervous and happy beyond words could ever explain. Michael was standing at the altar looking at me with the biggest smile he could put on. His eyes shining from the tears he's been holding in.

"I promise to always be your friend, your lover, and most importantly, your family, when life is peaceful and when it is painful. We shall build a warm home of love, laughter, support and charity. Let us be a home for each other forever and ever." he said as he looked at me, my hand on his.

"I promise to grow along with you, to be willing to face change as we both change, keeping our relationship alive and exciting. And finally, I promise to love you in good times and in bad, with all I have to give and all that I am, in the only way I know how, completely and forever." I smiled at him, a tear rolling down my cheek.

*Present day 1994*

"Michael Jackson and Adrianna Diaz, you are now divorced."

I slightly jump pulling me back to reality as the sound from the judge's gavel echoed through the room.

This is it.

We were now divorced. I swallow the lump on my throat and clutched on to the brown envelope tightly as Michael and I exited the building.

"So, I guess this is where we finally part ways." he says and I stop in my tracks.

"Y-yeah. I hope you'll finally be happy." I faintly smiled at him. "I hope you find the right one who could accompany you from super soaker fights to the late nights you just walk around like a little gnome."

I was hurt but telling Michael that made me wanna laugh as memories of fun super soaker fights I had with him and flashbacks of the nights when he just couldn't sleep and we'd play category or I'd just let him blab about his thoughts even the most random ones played in my mind. He gave me a faint chuckle and I turned my back to walk away.

"Adie..." he called.

"What?" I say before turning to face him.

He looked at me for a few seconds, his mouth half-way opened like he was about to say something but couldn't get it out.

"Umm..take care of yourself, alright? I'll always visit the children."

I nodded and quickly walked away before he sees tears streaming down my face.

This wasn't how I thought everything would turn out. But if this was what's going to make him happy, what else can I do? Marriage isn't always a happy ending.