School Festival

Tatum O'Neal

The theatre department are getting ready for the school festival. One of our teachers compliment me for my improved perfomances lately.

"Thank you, Mr. Langley." I nod him a smile.

"Now I wonder if all this is because of a boy?" he turns to my friends beside him and they giggle to each other before answering Mr. Langley with a yes.

I coyly answer thet everyone needs a way to relieve stress, and a guy is one method.

And that particular turns up to escort me to the school festival.

Michael Jackson

Tatum asks if I had something prepared to the school talent show and I told her I wasn't patricipating.

"Doesn't performing make you happy? We should always do what makes us happy, right?" she clings onto my arm.

I was about to answer her when we get interrupted by her pager beeping. She excuses herself as we walk to a telephone booth. I try not to be obvious as I listen in. Her mother was angry. I could hear her screaming. Tatum sighs before dialing to send her mother a message back, arguing with whatever her mother told her.

"You've got a scary side." I comment as she makes her way to me.

"You can't have only good traits." she answers.

*

Adrianna Diaz

I glance at a freshman hauling heavy cartons of drinks at our department's stall. They decided to set up a bar. I walk over to see someone trying to figure out how much salt she had to add on the dish. I decided to help her out and keep myself busy.

A small crowd then gathers around me as I throw in the different spices into the mix, making the most delicious looking batch of stir-fried pork. I feed a sample to everyone gathered around and I see Noah. He smiles at me ready to eat the piece of meat I was aboit to feed him when a fellow sophomore interrupts me.

"We should make this the signature dish! But then, you're gonna have to teach cause we'll have to make a hundred more servings." he points to the boxes and boxes of ingredients delivered and my eyes widened.

"Don't worry, we'll help.". A senior from our department chimes in.

They proceeded to mix in the ingredients in a big tub and I watched them carefully with Noah beside me.

"You should join the campus queen." he says.

"We've asked her but she refused." one of ny seniors answers him.

They all then finish mixing up with a flourish which sends splatters of sauce flying all over. Everyone looks at each other and then apoligizes to me but I wave it off as a no big deal and it was only a small splatter that made its way to my shirt. Noah on the other hand had a big red stain on his white shirt.

"Well, I'm gonna go change." he tells everyone and he elicits a small laugh from me.

The event is in full swing and I had a lot of pork to cook. I catch Michael and Tatum from afar and I scowl. I notice that they were aoproaching a waterballoon game his department had set up. I walk closer to them and called out their attention including his fellow seniors who were watching the stall.

"I want to play. And I'll pay double." I say crossing my arms. "But only if it's Michael's face that is in the wall to aim at." I point at him and Michael looks at me with wide eyes.

He tried to refuse but his fellow seniors grabbed him laughing as they set him up. With Michael set into place, I wind up and goes to pitch my balloon. The first one is a fake-out and Michael screams. I pitch out my balloon for real. A direct hit! I throw over and over dousing Michael in an endless stream of water.

The seniors of his department compliments my skill and I tell them this was easy. Thanks to all the diapers I had to toss in the diaper pail from afar. I had a lot of training for this moment.

"Could he be switched out?" Tatum asks worriedly.

"No." I answer her coldly.

I guess Tatum couldn't stand to see Michael's suffering and she walks off.

--

My friends, Merle, Stacey and I along with Michael and his friends, Donny and Darryl sat on one of the tables at our department's bar for some drinks. I was exhausted and my arm was tired from all the pitching. Michael's hair was still drenched and he has changed into a pullover and matching joggers.
He looked really handsome.

Darryl spots Tatum and calls her over. I look at Michael and give him a fake smile.

"She can sit here." I stood up and made my way to the stove and heated up the pork.
I look at Tatum take the seat and Stacey huffs indignantly. She calls Noah who passes by. He had on a new shirt. The playing field is even I thought.

I glared at Michael while he talks with Tatum. He looks back at me and I mouthed "it's like you're dating a minor" and his look chastened.

I looked down at the pork I was stirring up. "Wanna try it?" I ask Noah who was standing beside me the whole time. He was ready to claim his bite but like a while ago, we're interrupted again. This time an outcry from Michael. "Adrianna, why do you have stains on your clothes, huh? It's like you're an old lady."

Michael and I argued back forth without noticing we were bringing up stuff that only he and I could understand. They wondered when we became so close. Thankfully, someone arrives to break the tension and asks if I wanted to participate at the search for campus queen. They really needed one since the other partocipant they got was a no show.

I was reluctant since I had nothing to wear. Noah hands me the gold paperbag he had been holding since he came here.

"It's a dress for you." he smiles shyly. I swear this boy's smile is something else.

"You won't win for sure." Michael scoffs.

I thank Noah and give him a peck on the cheek making everyone except for Michael and Tatum squeal like little children.

I will compete to prove him wrong.