Chapter 34

"Tigers! Tigers! Liberty Tigers!" The students chanted in a collective voice as the first shot was made by Monty. He has successfully shot the ball into the opponent's net.

Monty twirled his stick as he crosses path with Frank and passes him a flat expression. Frank looked back, smiling menacingly.

It was not very clear, but Hannah, Alex, and Justin who sat side by side could feel how Monty and Frank would almost collide. Either each one of them was refraining, or one of them was trying to provoke the other. The latter felt more reasonable to Hannah as Monty has assured that he won't get into a fight.

The first half went in a clear with Kingsport in lead by five to four. The stadium was quiet for another break time, the only anticipation brewing everywhere.

"They are playing offensive tonight!" Monty commented to their teammates. "They are faster than us and that is why we are only chasing them all the time. It's time to catch the ball, too. "

"We should shoot low," Ryan suggested.

"And to the non-dominant side of the goalie," Monty added. "Instead of making them chase us, we will confuse them. Switch hands, pass the ball repeatedly if it's needed to a nearby player and wait for an open player till the time is right. So ready?"

"Yes. Let's crush these fuckers to the ground." One of the team members enthusiastically said.

They gave each other hive fives and spread on the field after Monty reminded them. "Play defensive!"

The second half began with the ball in defense of Frank, who ran carrying the ball in his stick, swiftly pushing players from his way. He then bounced the ball, ready to pass it. Monty straightened up and ran to tackle him before he can make the pass.

Frank looked over to his teammate, indicating him. Monty reached in time but Frank turned and instead of passing, he took few steps back, then kneel down and threw the ball below the goalie's tall leg and it landed inside the net.

Kingsport supporters jumped in happiness, shouting and yelling in the craziness. "Kings! Kings! Kings!" They are were chanting, earning a boo from Liberty High that was super pissed.

Frank removed his helmet, smirking at Monty who was stopped dead at his stop.
Between the cheers and players giving each other high-five, Frank walked past and made sure to push him aside.

Monty growled and looked back.

"What?" Frank asked, acting oblivious to his bloodshot eyes.

Monty wanted to say something in return to shut him up but he was doing his best to not indulge in any kind of conversation. So he ignored and decided to walk over to his position before the whistle blows again.

But Frank stopped him.

"Are you again going to hide behind a girl
, Montgomery?" He patronizes. "Where is that chick by the way?"

"Focus on the game, Frank!"

"Loser," he continued. "How was the gift by the way we left this morning. Losers High." He laughed. Monty didn't respond and moved away but Frank was right behind.

"Oh come on, Montgomery, show me you're a Man." He smirks and it did affect Monty. He was no longer walking away. "Oops, my bad. I forgot you are not a man."

Monty spun after hearing his last sentence. His teeth clenched as he removed his helmet, too. The whistle blew once again but he didn't care and launched himself at him. In a flash, Frank was tackled on the ground, Monty upon him. He curled his fist and was ready to deliver him a punch when Ryan caught him in time.

The other players rushed shortly after to separate their captain. Ryan pulled Monty back and before any players spark the fight again, referee and coaches were next to them.

Coach Brandon pulled Monty out of the clusters. "What is wrong with you? Isn't one video enough that you are intending to create another. Everyone is recording."

"He was trying to bait me."

"And you blindly fell into his traps. I didn't expect this from you at least. Do you know if you had gotten the time to punch him, you could have been benched for the entire game."

"I know, coach but he-"

"I'll talk to the referee. Just keep your temper cool."

Monty wanted to say that he wasn't angry but he was already gone. Mr. Branden went back to the other coach and referee and had a long chat. Throughout, there were yellings from Kingsport players but Monty stayed put and searched for his friends in the bleachers. But each side, there were countless flashlights.

He was interrupted from his search when his teammates came cheering to him. Monty couldn't believe when they told him that Frank has been benched for the night. It didn't make Monty much happy as he wanted to beat him on the ground but it was much better than all the drama he was trying to avoid.

The game began and within five minutes Liberty took the lead by seven to six. With Frank gone, the team lost its coordination and it fell apart.

Liberty High students jumped from bleachers and ran into the field as Monty made the final shot, winning the tonight's match. Hannah and her friends can see how mad Frank and other Kingsport students looked.

The crowd burst into applause, cheering and repeating. "Liberty tigers! Liberty tigers!"

They lifted the players on their shoulders, celebrating in happiness. Even the teachers were hugging each other. It was indeed the best match they have seen so far.

-----------

What were your expectations about the match? Did that turn to be like this?

Tell me in the comments and VOTE, too.