2.

*Three months ago*

'Kabeer, why do you want to marry me?' I asked him. I was taken aback by his sudden proposal. After my brother passed away, I had no one left to call family. I was alone in this world. My father's side of the family always hated us but somehow thought I was suitable for one of their distant's relative's son who worked at a factory and spent most of his nights outside with his friends getting involved in sorts of troubles, they thought I'll be the right girl to help him get on track. That was a lot of expectation from someone they didn't like very much. They taught that even though women in their family were expected to stay at home and look after their husbands and children; they were willing to accept me into their family as a working woman. I loved my job, working as an administrator at a local hospital was more than I ever imagined I could do. I met Kabeer when he came to our hospital on behalf of an NGO. He was a qualified doctor and seemed like a capable young man. He was responsible, kind, caring and respectful and blessed with good looks. I couldn't understand why he would ever be interested in a village girl like me.

'Because I am in love with you and I want to spend my life with you by my side' He looked at me with affection.

No one had ever looked at me like that. My father changed drastically after my mother passed away, and just a year after her passing, my brother and I lost him too. He was a nice man but wasn't strong, he couldn't bear losing my mother. He was so miserable after her death that he forgot we even existed. Losing both my parents felt like hell, but it got worse when my brother left for work one day and didn't return home.  The news showed his story as another tragic fire accident in the village. That's when the hell broke loose. I could have ended my story there, but I didn't. When my mother was dying, she told me to continue living for her. It disappointed me at how everything that was so dear to me was snatched away from me in such a short span of time, but I was still fighting. I wanted to continue fighting to survive this life.

'How can you ask me to marry when you know that I don't love you? I don't think I have love inside of me to give to anyone' I said to Kabeer. I told him I respected him and considered him a great friend, but love was not something I ever thought about. 

Kabeer came into my life like a sudden rain in the dry desert. He brought so much laughter and smiles that for a moment I forgot about my miseries. I saw him as a dear friend, someone that I looked up to. He was so open about his life. He told me how he escaped a tormented life of his own. Just like me, he also lost his parents at a young age, but he had an older brother who he loved dearly. He told me that despite the kind of life his brother led; he was still a very much like how his mother was, tough from the outside but gentle at heart. Whereas Kabeer told me he was like his father, emotional and dependable. 

'I am aware of that Eman, it is enough for me to know that you like me, even if it's as a friend. My love for you will be enough for both of us' He offered, his eyes searching for me to agree on the proposal.

'I don't wish to be controlled Kabeer, that's why I left my uncle's house. After losing everyone in my family, I felt like I was their property, I don't want to be owned by anyone' I told him honestly.

'I don't want to own you, I just want to make you happy' He said in a sincere tone.

'If you believe that your love will be enough then very well...I will promise I will try to return your love with same fondness one day' I said, giving him a smile.

'Are you...are you accepting my proposal?' He uttered, his eyes lighting up with joy.

'Yes' I replied, feeling a sense of happiness within me, part of me trusting him with my future happiness.