Chapter 8- Secrets Have A Way (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

Rayna smiled sadly at Andre's naivety, "He does not mean it is because of my rank, Andre. He means it is because I am a woman. And a woman should not fight."

The silence that followed her comment was deafening.

Revon looked at Kalevi with nothing but disappointment and anger now. "You mean to tell me that you were not going to allow her to fight because she is a jomaa? Jhag vn ghe todf aamef fre lou ghinkint? (woman? What in the Gods names are you thinking?)What does that even matter? You know as well as I do that both Ella and Gabriel wanted Rayna to learn to fight, and you were going to stop her? For what? Because she is a woman?" He scoffed at the last part. He was now in front of Kalevi, pointing his finger at his chest.

Rayna felt the shock wash over her at his words. Her father wanted her to learn to fight? Rayna couldn't believe what she was hearing. This was something her father had wanted for her.

Kalevi glared at him, "They were discussing it, you know that as well as I do! But he is not here anymore to protect her and teach her. I am here. I am one of her guardians, Revon, not you! You need to leave. Now."

Revon lifted one eyebrow and smirked at the man. "You are right, Kalevi, you are her guardian." He chuckled softly, looking down, then back up at him, "But you do not have the power to tell me to leave." He turned his head to Rayna and smirked at her, pointing his hand towards her, "I only take orders from my queen." Looking back at Kalevi, his smile grew at the shock of his words, "And until she tells me to go, I am staying."

Andre got up and stood next to his grandfather, silently showing his agreement, keeping his hands behind his back.

Rayna's heart was pounding so hard in her chest at the words leaving their mouths. Her decision...she makes the calls... it is true, one day she was going to be making these types of calls. But today? And to make a decision that would defy her uncle's wishes? After everything that he has done for her... She knew they were waiting for her to speak. She had to make a decision.

She tried clearing her face of all emotion, lifting her head a little more when she spoke, as she had seen her mother do before. "I am sorry, Uncle. But you will not teach me, and I must learn." She hesitated only for a moment, "Revon and Andre are staying. I hope you can forgive me and support this decision."

All eyes were on her, and then they turned to Kalevi to see his reaction. He was silent, and like Rayna's, no emotions shown on his face. He turned away from them all and climbed onto his horse and rode off into the woods.

Rayna felt her heart twist in her chest at this. She stayed where she was, though. Something she learned from her father long ago, a ruler never chases after anyone. Once a leader's word was spoken, it's final. Others just need to learn to deal with it in their own time. You need not give them any explanation.

She looked to her aunt for any comforting words. Catherina tilted her head, in sympathy to her niece, "He'll be back, my sweet, he just needs time to clear his head. To process it."

Rayna nodded her head, turning to look at Revon and Andre. They both were smiling at her, and then bowed when she looked at them. She smiled right back, bowing her head gently back. They both walked off, heading into the castle, but not without a glare from Andre to Cyrus.

Cyrus glared on right back, standing in front of Jewel. He did not like the way that the boy looked at her. He seemed cocky and arrogant. Once they were out of sight, he looked to his mother and Rayna, "What is going on around here?"

The confusion and hurt were clear in his voice. They hadn't told him anything in fear that he would tell Kalevi. Catherina stepped forward and embraced her son, "Come on inside, we will explain everything. I just squeezed some fresh lemon with a touch of sugar to have to drink."