Chapter 2- The Jewel (editing)

Previous Chapter

Kalevi's heart froze at this news. Just then, another Bellator came running down the steps to the kingdom shouting for them. Kalevi and Jace ran forward to meet with the man.

He took a chance to catch his breath before he spoke. "King Malum made his decision a while ago to execute the queen." Kalevi and Jace looked at one another with nothing but fear as the young man held up his hand, signaling he had more to say, "But-but the queen, she-she-she is missing."

Kalevi looked at him, shocked that the queen was missing. She wasn't missing by accident. She either made a run for it, or someone took her. And if he knew Ella at all, he knows she would never run.

Chapter 2- The Jewel

Rayna woke up with a start hyperventilating the night before flashing back at her. Covered in sweat, and her heart was beating so fast. All she could remember was her father's eyes on her, his piercing green eyes.

"Are you okay?" A soft little voice asked. Rayna jumped and looked to her left. Before her stood a little girl with skin as pale as the moon with red hair as vibrant and wild as fire looking up at her. She was just a little taller than the bed and wearing a royal blue dress. Her eyes were a bright violet, like her own. Rayna felt shocked as she looked at her eyes. She was a witch as well.

Rayna finally spoke, "I-I don't know. I think so."

"Did you have a nightmare?" The little girl asked, climbing up onto the bed next to the Princess with only a little struggle, her little legs wiggling out from under her. "Aunt Catherina always says the best way to get rid of a nightmare is to think of all your favorite things to make you smile."

Rayna smiled at the girl sitting across from her, "That's what my mother always said, too. What's your name?" Rayna asked curiously.

The little girl smiled, "My name is Jewel." Her eyes were shinning along with her smile; she was one of the prettiest girls she had ever seen with her porcelain skin and a little dash of freckles on her cheeks and nose. Those freckles reminded her of Theo's, almost just alike.

"It's nice to meet you, Jewel; I'm Rayna Imperium." She smiled a sad smile as she remembered her best friend whom she left behind. "Do you not have a last name?"

Jewel looked down at her dress, playing with the hem, "No. I wish I did. Aunt Catherina didn't know it when they found me. Well, when Uncle Kalevi found me." Rayna felt terrible for asking such a question and placed her hand on Jewel's, wanting to comfort her. Jewel bit her lip looking at her with a gleam in her eyes. "You're the princess, aren't you?"

Rayna felt herself blush slightly, "Yes, I am." She wasn't around many people outside of the palace, only when she went into the town of Terra. So she wasn't used to the excitement that people felt when meeting her. In the palace, she was just Rayna.

Jewel looked at her with wonder. "Wow, I have never met a princess before. What's it like being a princess?"

Before Rayna could answer such a question, Catherina came into the room; she stopped short when she saw the two little girls sitting on the bed together. She just smiled, "There you are, J. I have been looking for you. I hope you didn't wake up little Ray here?"

Rayna smiled up at her aunt and shook her head, "No, she was comforting me. I woke up from a nightmare, and she distracted me."

Jewel beamed at the Princess and then nodded her head at Catherina. "Yes, I told her to try and think of all of her favorite things so that she didn't feel scared anymore like you taught me."