Chapter 8- Secrets Have A Way (Part 1)

PART 1

The June breeze flew through the air, filling Rayna's lungs as she looked out into the fields. This coming December she will be turning sixteen. Just two more years until she can take the throne; a thought that has been daunting her, her entire life.

Leaning against the tree with the swing, she smiled looking at Jewel and Andre running through the fields together. Today was their day off from training. Oh how far they have come.
Rayna turned her attention back to her journal, a new addition to the many she has written over the last five years.

Dear Theo,

Today is such a beautiful day; I cannot believe how perfect it is. I miss you especially on this day, June 9th, your birthday. It is cruel having this day be so perfect, and yet I cannot spend it with you. One day.

Right now I am watching Andre and Jewel running through the fields of this hidden castle. They are quite adorable together, Theo. They both obviously have a crush on the other, but no one will say a thing.

I spoke to Jewel about it and her face turned so red I had to laugh. Though I can still tell she has feelings for Cyrus, I don't know if Cyrus will ever see her that way. Although once I did hope they would be together one day, it just seems foolish now. Especially with how long it has been since we have seen them.

The last time that we were all together was for my fourteenth birthday. Now my fifteenth birthday has come and past, and so has Jewel's thirteenth and fourteenth. Aunt Catherina says that things have not been good among the kingdom, which is why they cannot leave or be seen leaving.

Apparently you have been giving uncle quite the hard time I hear? He says that you are questioning more and more about what happened the night of my father's death. Asking more about what happened to me. He says that you become more suspicious with every passing day. Suspicious of what he does not know but he says that on the days that you all have off, you are nowhere to be found.

Do you suspect something is wrong? I wish I were there to know what it is that you know. Has your father given something away? Uncle says that he is losing his sanity, which comes to no surprise. Paranoia is an ugly thing, and with him believing everyone is out to get him, he has lost more than he has gained. The only thing that he has from this rule is fear. Fear is not what you want to have when ruling.

Today you are eighteen. The age that I fear the most, but yet I cannot wait for.

Do you ever feel like your life has been planned out completely for you, Theo? I know mine has. Even with all the changes that have happened to stir me off that course I am still heading in that direction. To be queen. No one sees me as anything other than the future Queen of Terra. Or the current one, depending who you are speaking with on the matter. Though I do not want to be known as the current queen considering how dreadful the kingdom has come to. Will they all hate me? Aunt Catherina says people will understand because I was just a child when all this happened. But will they be angry with me? I have essentially left them.

I abandoned my kingdom when it needed me the most. I fled the scene. Again I was just a child, but I am no longer just a child. That was over five years ago. Why have I not come forward many will ask. But the law clearly states that I cannot take the throne until I am of age, the age of eighteen.

Even though I have always known I will eventually take the throne, I don't think it ever bothered me then because when I turned eighteen I wasn't going to be taking the throne right away. Papa  still would have been alive by the time I turned eighteen. I would not have had to take the throne until I had children of my own I believe.