CHAPTER: 42 | CHANGE OF HEARTS (PART-6)

Start from the beginning

"Hey? What's wrong?" Zeeshan queried, his eyebrows furrowed in concern.

Aariz sat up, thrusted his fingers into his hair and dragged his hand down, face palming himself. He rolled out of the bed and started pacing back and forth, restlessly.

Zeeshan got up too, "Dude! What's the matter?" He interrogated him, watching him stroll left to right in front of the bed.

"I've to do something." He muttered, joining his palms and bringing his hands to his lips.

Zeeshan frowned at him, "Are we talking about Shebaz?"

"Who else?"

He nodded, "Ohkay. But what?"

Aariz didn't answer him and resumed pacing, thinking and thinking.

And suddenly, he stopped and faced Zeeshan, "Hand me my phone." He extended his hand towards him.

Zeeshan grabbed it from the table and handed it to him.

Aariz unlocked his phone and called up Shah.

And as soon as he answered his call, he got to business outright.

"Shebaz Hamadi. Dig up his dirt. I'm looking for something I can use as a leverage against him. I want a file on him, on my desk by tomorrow night. Did you get it?"

'Consider it done.'

"Cool. Good night." He hung up and looked up at Zeeshan who was watching him keenly.

"What?" He asked, throwing his phone at him.

Zeeshan caught it and placed it on the bed, "What are you going to do to him?"

Aariz stayed quiet, his lips pressed together in a thin line as he kept staring at a distance.

And just when Zeeshan thought he wasn't going to get an answer from him, he spoke up in a low but clear voice,

"I'm going to bring him to his knees."

*********************************************

According to Oxford dictionary of English, the word 'numbness' means unable to think or feel anything, deprive of any feelings or emotions, cause (a sensation) to be felt less intensely; deaden.

And it was exactly how Laiba woke up the next day.

Numb.

Emotionally dead.

She lay awake on her bed, her body still, staring at the ceiling while her eyelids felt heavy, her throat dry, her head throbbing and her heart beating in a steady rhythm inside her chest. She could clearly remember the events from last night but it wasn't affecting her anymore. It was like a switch had been turned off in her head, making her feel absolutely nothing.

Laiba didn't know how much time had passed until the call of Dhuhr blared from a distance, telling her that it was about time for her to get up and face the world.

She sat up on the bed in haze and slowly let her eyes roam across the room.

The curtains were half way closed and she had forgotten to close the balcony doors. The empty coffee mug and that half eaten apple from the previous evening was still on the coffee table along side a few books that she was trying from the shelf. The sling bag that she had thrown on the couch last night had landed on the edge, items of which had fallen out and were now all scattered over the carpet below. Her abayah was left on the floor, her shoes were in the middle of room, the suitcase was on the bed and was still open, some clothes on the bed and some on the ground.