CHAPTER: 42 | CHANGE OF HEARTS (PART-6)

Start from the beginning

Meaning, Aariz just happened to cross his bedroom(to get to Zeeshan's) but he froze on his place when he heard the sound of sobbing and crying coming from behind the doors. He looked up and frowned at the closed doors. He took a few steps towards it and stopped right front of it, bowing his head as he stood there, listening to her muffled cries.

A minute had passed, neither she had quietened nor he had moved an inch from there.

And somewhere in between those few seconds, Aariz felt something unmistakable in his chest.

A tug of remorse.

Guilt, perhaps.

He stood there, staring at the door for a while, thinking and thinking before he turned and quietly walked away.

******************************************************

Zeeshan was a light sleeper. He woke up to the sound of someone opening his bedroom door. He moved his duvet out of his face and raised his head, only to find Aariz entering. He relaxed his head back on the pillow while Aariz walked up to his cupboard and opened it. He grabbed a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt, quickly changing into them before dropping himself on the bed, next to him.

"Stayed out late?" Zeeshan spoke up, keeping his eyes closed and his cheek resting on his hands.

"Yeah!" Aariz said, laying on his back, facing the ceiling, his body straight and his hands resting on his abs.

Zeeshan nodded, even though he couldn't see that.

Silence engulfed them and Zeeshan noticed that Aariz was unusually quiet.

"All okay?" He asked.

He was, after all, his brother. It didn't even take him a minute to figure out that something was wrong.

Aariz took a deep breathe, "We bumped into Shebaz Hamadi." He told him in a resigned voice.

Zeeshan opened his eyes and turned his face towards him, "Did something happen?" He urged.

"Yeah!" He gave in, "He called her a gold digger. And said something about her father calling him up on the wedding day and telling him everything about her." He didn't hold back and said everything.

Zeeshan pushed himself up in a sitting position, the duvet slipping and falling on his lap.

"What did he exactly say?" He sounded nervous. Did her father tell Shebaz about that night? He wondered, panicking.

But fortunately, Aariz didn't notice it. "Nothing specific. Just that." He shook his head.

Zeeshan relaxed and fell back on his bed, "And then? Did you hit him?" He asked him after a while.

"I didn't. She did. She slapped him."

"Did she?" He was surprised.

"Yeah!"

Zeeshan snorted, "Wow. I wish I was there to see his face. He deserved it."

Aariz didn't say anything. All he could hear right then, was Laiba's cries. It was messing up with his head.

He was disturbed and even Zeeshan sensed it.