Into Fire (Part Seven)

Since everyone begged me to keep the pigs, I will continue to put Ruebens into the starter picture. :-D

Tango flew around the lava environment, relishing the hot air that pushed on his wings. He was a scout, keeping intruders out of the Wither Castle. Walls of Netherack and Netherite surrounded him, with the occasional Firefly flickering into sight.

It was nice to be back home, even though he missed his friends, especially Impulse. The two had bonded and worked on redstone projects for years, but Tango longed to be back in the fiery environment.

Someone wouldn't be hard pressed to describe what he looked like, as he was very unique. Red eyes replaced normal blue or green, made for laser sharp vision. The blond hair occasionally fell into his face, but he just pushed it back, occasionally getting caught on the small pearl horns cresting his head. His wings were like no other, even for his kind. They were phoenix wings, magnificent red, orange, and yellow painting the feathers. 

As his eyes scanned every available space, even seeing through lava, Tango noticed something odd. A human was in the Nether, standing on a pillar of the sharp Nether Brick. 

He flew over, the loud flaps letting the intruder know he was coming. The newcomer looked familiar, but it was hard to tell. He had a rugged edge to his appearance, like someone who had gone through a lot.

"State your name and your business." Tango commanded as he landed making the man turn his head. A sharp bitter laugh erupted from the short bloke.

"I'm surprised you don't remember me, Tango." 

"You look slightly familiar, but I know a lot of faces."

"Very well then." The man stroked his face, stubble popping out of his chin. "I'm here to save the galaxy."

Tango raised his eyebrows at that, thinking the man was delusional from the heat. "And name?"

"Grian."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first thing Mumbo felt was the suffocating heat of the Nether. It wasn't usually this bad, but he guessed that the deeper you go, the hotter it got. Mumbo was grateful that Rueben hadn't come, in this temperature, he would be bacon.

"Any chance you could cool it down, anyone?" Iskall looked pasty, used to below freezing temperatures.

"If I'm correct," Wels thought out loud methodically. "The overworld stone should be able to create a shield of cool air around us.

As everyone turned expectantly at Mumbo, he sheepishly scratched the back of his head and glanced away. "I can usually only spawn in pigs.... but I might as well give it a shot."

No pressure huh? I don't suppose that I'll actually be able to do something useful with this thing with everyone waiting on me. Mumbo felt Iskall's hand on his shoulder, followed by a small nod. I can do this.

Closing his eyes, Mumbo envisioned what he wanted to create. An invisible bubble of cool air, with no poisonous fumes. A slight tug pulled at his brain as he envisioned the creation. Just like his redstone contraptions, all the pieces clicked together in his brain. He took one deep breath after another as he created the bubble with the stone.

"Nice work."

Mumbo shook his head in an effort to get back into reality. Xisuma looked quite content, and so did everyone else. If he looked really closely, Mumbo could make out thin wavers in the air. He had successfully created the bubbles. Now all they had to do was find Tango and have him bring the Nether Stone.