Chapter 31: Awkward

Athena
The next week after my sudden outburst, Owen and I became distant but still, casual. We talked minimally and buried our noses under books and laptops and sipped milkshakes in silence, cracking less than two jokes per day. It was nerve-wracking to be honest after realizing something huge about myself and I hated it since Owen hadn't been himself lately.

It was a friday today. The air getting colder by the second. Tomorrow's the first day of December and we're gonna expect some sort of snowfall by then. I shuddered in my warm seat inside the bookstore. I felt real cold and cursed at myself for not bringing a jacket or a sweater. Fuck you Athena.

I felt my jaw tense and my teeth chatter gradually and just stopped writing down some notes and hugged myself for a second, letting my head fall to my shoulders. I saw Owen raise his head up slightly, his dark, wavy man bangs in need of a trim to get some curled hair out of his eyes. He took one look at me and shrugged off his dark blue Ravenclaw hoodie, revealing a striped long sleeved shirt underneath. He extended an arm from the other side of the table as if he was giving me his hoodie and smiled his usual crooked smile.

"Here. You seem cold." he muttered shyly as he scratched the back of his head. I raised an eyebrow, still hugging myself.

"No thanks. I'm good. You need it more than I do."

He sighed and shook his head. "And you tell me I'm the stubborn one."

"And sometimes stupid. Add that." I chuckled through cold breathes. He glared.

"Take it. You're gonna turn into ice if you don't keep yourself warm."

"What about you? Won't you get cold?"

He cocked his head and smiled, his arm still extending his hoodie toward me.

"Just wear it before my kindness runs out. It's official Harry Potter merch and you gotta take the chance before I obliviate you and deem you as a muggle." he said as I rolled my eyes, smiling, and I took the hoodie from his gloved hands and wore it over my uniform. It felt toasty.

"Thanks." I muttered as I turned toward the window, hiding behind my hair as I blushed. I don't want him to see me get worked up over his hoodie.

I went back to writing and I can't help but steal glances from Owen who was busily typing something on his laptop, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration and his eyes reflecting the screen perfectly. Owen, why do you have to be so freaking gorgeous? My brown eyes are so boring.

"Take a picture. It'll last longer." he muttered, still facing his laptop with a crooked smile on his face. I rolled my eyes.

"That's what I used to say! No fair." I answered. He put down his laptop and closed it before he eventually put it in his backpack then looked at me shyly.

"Athena," he started. His hands started fidgeting and I know for sure he does this when he's nervous about something.

"Yeah?" I answered, hoping he'll tell me he wants to live in Amsterdam with me and have three dogs together. 

"Can I ask you a question?" he said as he looked down on his lap, embarrassed.

"You're asking one now. Go ahead. Shoot."

Yes Owen, I want to go to Amsterdam with you and three dogs.

My heart beat fast and I didn't think I was even breathing from the suspense. God Owen, you're making me sweat in your hoodie.

"Do you have a laptop charger? I think I left mine at home." he smiled shyly as he rubbed his nape.

Embarrassed that I thought he would tell me something more important than his need for a laptop charger, I felt myself turn red and quickly got to my senses when he cleared his throat.

"Oh right, sorry. Yeah, I think I brought mine." I said silently as I scrambled for my bag and took out my laptop charger then handed it to Owen.

I extended an arm toward him to hand over my charger, my fingers slipping from my shaky hand causing the charger to slide from my grasp. He quickly caught the charger, our fingers accidentally touching. I felt my eyes widen and my breath cut short.

The touch of the tip of his finger onto my hand sent a shockwave throughout my body. It was electrifying. I looked at Owen and he too jolted a bit in his chair and his face turned a soft shade of pink. Must be the cold catching up to him by now since he loaned me his hoodie.

He took the charger and smiled quickly as he plugged in his laptop and I went back to pretending to study before I noticed Owen staring at me. I perked up my eyes and he diverted his gaze toward something else. I shrugged.

Ever since I screwed up by telling him I wanted him, (though it was true. I do like him) things have just been awkward between Owen and I. Jokes have been less shared and more uncomfortable walks home took place.

Or maybe it was just me overthinking. He does tend to stare a lot more than usual which makes me feel weird since he probably knows I have a crush on him by now and he's just being nice. Ugh, I don't know anymore.

We walked home as usual, silence still third wheeling us. The breeze was indeed getting colder and I felt guilty for wearing his hoodie. When we reached his house first, I tried to shrug off the hoodie out of my body before I felt a hand pull the hem of my skirt. I looked down at Owen with his icy, blue eyes, wide up at me.

"Keep it for the night. You still need to walk home." he smiled awkwardly. I nodded.

"Also, uhm, I have PT tomorrow. Will you---?"

"Of course. I'm never leaving your side right?" I said a bit too quickly, cutting him off. I felt my face heat up again. My stomach had butterflies fluttering about as his smile widen.

"I know Athena. I know. See you tomorrow?" he waved as he turned his chair toward the path to their house.

"Yeah, sure." I said as I started to walk away.

I walked slowly, burying my face under his hoodie that smelled like Owen. It was his usual mix of laundry detergent and apples and I felt giddy wearing something that belonged to him.

The hoodie was two sizes larger than mine and I loved how oversized it looked on my tiny body. It made me think of how much taller he would be if he stood.

I arrived home at Aunt Lydia's, Maxie greeting me with an excited jump. I laughed as we fell to the floor and I rubbed her cheerfully.

"Hey girl, missed me?" I asked the dog before I noticed she was sniffing the hoodie and tried to bury her head under it before I took hold of her and calmed her down.

"I know Maxie. You miss flirting with Owen. Speaking of which, he hasn't come by anytime before right?"

Right. I envisioned Maxie saying before I sat myself down on the floor and had a bright idea.

"Max, I bet you know what I'm thinking." I told the dog who was now drooling all over my skirt. She barked in reply.

"Wanna go somewhere other than the park tomorrow? Visit some friends?"

---------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys! Thanks for stopping by! Wow, I never expected this story to even reach over a thousand reads. Like, what even is this?!

Also, a little update lmao. I broke my foot the other day which explains delayed updates. School also resumed after some volcano eruption around here but aside from those, everything else is absolutely fine! I just gotta keep updates going but I warn you, they're gonna get pretty slow from this point on. We have our exams coming up too and being the Asian kid with Asian parents, I gotta give them decent grades to earn their love (im kidding obv).

As promised before, I won't leave this story behind. The character development's really long tho and I apologize for that. You guys probably want some more action between Owen and Athena alright. I will give it to you guys. Just not consistently.

Sorry.

Also, thanks again. Sending all my love to u;)

Xoxo, Bea