Chapter 15

Owen
After Athena stumbled upon the bookstore that day, the two of us went there to study after school everyday.

I hate to admit it, but I started to enjoy her company. It surprises me to say that we made it three months into the school year without killing each other.

Well, it was mostly I who had maniacal intentions to possibly leave her stranded in some foreign country with a $5 bill but still, the more we spent time at the bookstore and at PT, the more she was starting to get a tad more tolerable than before.

"So, tell me about you." Athena asked as she peeped through a reference book I was reading about physics, my greatest mortal enemy.

Her murky blonde locks spilled all over what I was trying to comprehend and I felt my face automatically scrunch up into a frown. I had to sweep her hair off the page.

She laughed and I just glared.

Talking to her might as well be an excuse to not study physics. It wasn't one of my strengths, anyway.

I put the book down, shut it close and just looked at her, her wide golden brown eyes glinting like honey everytime the sunlight from outside hit her face.

I had to stop myself from staring too much in fear that I would be trapped further down by her charm.

Maybe this was how she became less annoying each passing day. It was her face. Her sickening, sweet, innocent face.

"I'm not that extraordinary for you to actually know me better. You already know enough." I told her.

Before I could even go back to studying, Athena quickly swiped the book out my reach and smiled triumphantly.

Athena slid the book under her own set of books before she removed her school blazer, unveiling her white, long-sleeved polo.

"It's been three months. The only things I know about you is your distaste for physics and your home address." She said knowingly.

Well, it was true.

I personally think I'm the most vague person in the world. I don't fully understand things going on with me but I do grasp main ideas. I just don't know how to properly enunciate them.

After a long moment, I finally gave in. I still need to study that unholy physics book to at least pass.

"I like to read. I like dogs. You're welcome." I told her.

Athena's mouth slowly quirked into a smile, and I almost wanted to vomit.

Her smile sickens me.

"I already know the dog thing but reading? No wonder you hang around this bookstore like some old man at a retirement home." She exclaimed, awestruck at the fact that I read.

Maybe she was even more surprised that guys enjoy reading. It has its pros and cons, actually. I find it really hard trying to find guys who actually finished a single book that was not a required reading at school.

"I like the bookstore. What's not worth liking in it?" I asked, looking around the store, almost smiling.

"Dust build-up, lack of employees, a grouchy teenager who practically lives here–"

I frowned again.

What a way to kill my mood.

"Fine. You can shut up now. I have to study for a test tomorrow." I said as I reached an arm out to get my physics book back but of course Athena just had to shove it in her bag.