Chapter 16: doctors and nurses

Börja om från början

Way to make it hard on robbers trying to break in, guys.

"You cheated!" I heard who I believed to be Colton, exclaim.

"I did not. You just suck." Grayson fought his twin.

"And you swallow." Was Colton's creative comeback.

I snorted at his childish retort, and made my way to the kitchen where I assumed the others were.

I found Scott, Nathan, and Luke sitting at the counter talking.

I tip-toed up behind Luke, ready to scare him. I put my hands out and shook his shoulders roughly from behind, yelling

"Surprise!!" In his ear.

Luke shot out of his chair, jumping a few feet in the air, screeching like a 4 year old girl. Scott and Nathan watched us with amused eyes.

Luke looked embarrassed and sat back down, clearing his throat, but giving now response.

Carter walked in the kitchen after. He looked at all of us curiously.

"Why'd you screams, Laney?" He asked.

I tried to hold in my giggles for Luke's sake, but Nathan didn't. He snorted out the lemonade his was drinking, and laughed loudly.

Luke glared at him.

"It was Luke." I explained to a confused Carter. He turned around and walked back out, shaking his head.

"Anyways" -Scott changed the subject-"what're you doing home? I didn't know you were getting released today. You should've called me."

"It's okay. Mikey gave me a ride."

He nodded his head. Suddenly, the room was no longer carefree. Nobody wanted to talk about the elephant in the room.

"How are you guys doing, seriously?" I asked, concerned about their grief.

"It feels weird. I half expect her to just walk through the door any minute now." Luke confessed.

Nathan looked close to tears. He tried to keep his face impassive but the redness to his eyes gave him away. I left the subject alone.

"The funeral is tomorrow at 11:00am." Scott unformed us.

"Why'd you wait so long for the funeral?" I asked.

"So you could be there. Despite how everything ended between you two, the real Maya did care about you deeply."

Oh.

The awkward silence was disturbed by the sound of something breaking in the other room. We rushed in to the living room and took in the scene before us.

My hand flew over my mouth, trying to hide my shock and amusement.

Grayson and Colton were fighting on the ground. The tv was laying beside them, broken. Dakota sat on the couch with Ben, watching their older brothers. He looked annoyed while Ben was cheering Colton on.

Scott went over and pushed Colton back onto the floor. Nathan held Grayson back, separated from his twin.

"What are you two doing?!" Scott asked. His face was bright red with anger.

"He broke the tv!"

"No he did!"

They argued on top of each other. I tried to help calm everyone down.

"Passing blame doesn't fix anything. Just accept what happened and move on." I spoke confidently and calmly.

Everyone turned to me.

"All you do is pass blame. You blamed the whole accident on Mom when you were to blame." Colton spoke with venom dripping.

"You helped kill her. You're not innocent in anything, angel." Grayson finished for his twin, his eyes narrowed on me, scrutinizing my every move.

Tears came to my eyes, but I blinked them back, trying to look braver than I felt.

They're right. I thought to myself silently.

Everyone in the room looked at the twins with wide eyes. Time seemed to stand still.

"You killed my mommy?" Ben asked me with tears in his hazel eyes. He glanced up at me innocently, waiting for my answer.

I didn't know what to say. Did I kill his mommy? I didn't know. I opened my mouth to respond, but nothing came out.

Scott went over to his youngest son and picked him up. He sat down with Ben in his lap, holding him tightly.

"No, sweetie, she didn't. Mommy was really sick and had an accident because of it. Laney had nothing to do with what happened." He explained gently. He tried to help the young child understand.

How can a child understand death when adults themselves, don't?

"Why did Colty and Gray say she did?"

Scott looked at the twins with a harsh stare. They got the message and went upstairs silently, with their heads down. I could feel the hatred for me radiating off of them as they passed me. Both roughly bumped my shoulders on the way.

The actions pulled at my stitches and burns, making me wince silently. I didn't complain though.

I deserved that.

"They just miss Mommy, like you do. And they're taking their pain out on Laney instead of dealing with it." Scott said gently. He looked at me when he said it, no doubt trying to tell me not to listen to them.

Too late.