Chapter 23: Right About All Of It

Well look at that! Two postings in one day. I'm on fire! 

Look out for the <>!

I looked up at the gym ceiling as Callum held me. There was pressure in my head that I wanted gone. I pushed against my head with my hand as I looked up at Callum's nervous face. "Don't move," he said to me sternly.

I forced a chuckle out of my mouth as if to make a poor attempt of a joke. I only tripped, I told myself. "It was nothing."

Callum shook his head. "No, you passed out."

I sighed. I didn't want to admit it, but as I looked up at the bright lights above me, I realized that he was right. One minute, I was running to get some balloons, the next I was on the floor. I was just glad school was over for the day and almost everyone was gone. I was only here to help set up for the dance because Cami asked. "Ok, maybe I did. But I'm fine now."

He shot me a look, not happy with my response. "El, you're pushing yourself way too hard."

I had heard that phrase too many times by too many people. But by now, I think I was pushing myself too hard, but I couldn't stop now. Like a runaway train, I was already head deep in this mess. I was so close to my goals. Nationals was so close. I couldn't give up now.

I rolled over on my side as I pulled my legs close to me. I felt sick to my stomach. I dry heaved. Thank goodness I didn't eat much today and I had nothing to spit up. I couldn't hear anything as ringing came to my ears. I felt terrible and I didn't want to be at here any longer. I wanted to be in bed.

Callum shook me lightly, he moved to the side I was facing. He looked terrified. He moved his mouth but I couldn't hear what he said due to the ringing. Finally, the ringing stopped just as he said, "that's it, I'm calling your parents." He pulled out his phone and started to look through his contacts.

I took his phone and shook my head. "No," I said firmly as I pushed myself into a sitting position. They didn't need to know about this. I finally convinced them to take the least amount of recovery time as possible. If they found out about this, my hope for coming back to the rink soon would be crushed.

He threw his hands in the air in frustration. "Damn-it, El, you're making this impossible." He was mad.

But he didn't understand what nationals meant to me. He didn't understand what I had to sacrifice to get to where I was. "Callum, we have been through this," I said thinking about the last conversation I had with him about skating. This was my year to set up myself for the international stage. This was going to be my breakthrough.

He chewed on his lip as he thought about it. "El, I need my phone," he sighed.

I eyed him. He was so protective of his phone. He needed it always on him. It was like a crutch for him. "Are you going to call my parents," I asked, making sure he wouldn't tell.

"No."

I nodded, happy with his response, as I handed him the phone. "Good."

"Why are you guys on the floor? The janitor hasn't cleaned it. That's a bit gross," Cami stated as she walked into the gym with a frown. She carried many colorful items in her hands as she walked over to us. She looked scattered, with her clothing wrinkled and untucked but she had a purpose in her eyes.

I turned to face her with a smile. She couldn't know what was happening. I had kept this secret from her for too long. If it spilled now, all the lies that I had already told would have been for not. I would tell her what was going on at some point but now wasn't the moment. I had to cover this quickly. "I was just looking for a different perspective." I pointed to the ceiling. "Have you thought about doing a balloon drop for the dance? It would be like snowflakes. After all, this is a winter dance."