Chapter 10: And The Scores For....

Look out for the <>! 

Funny story, I should be planning my vacation for Europe right now. But this chapter was calling my name, more like screaming it. I just had to post it. Enjoy this chapter a little early! 

Song for the start of the chapter!

I shook off my nerves as I looked around at the stadium, half-filled with people for the senior ladies' short program. Silently, I set up for my program as the arena grew quiet, waiting for my music to start, just like I was. Here I went. After months of training, I was ready for this. I belonged here. "Ellis da Souza! You got this!!! Kick some ice," I heard my brothers cheer for me.

I smiled up at them, and mom as my eyes fell on the empty seat next to mom. For a second, I felt my heart sink, thinking dad would be here by now since I saw him in my practice yesterday. I let out a shaky breath as the music started.

My heart raced out of my chest as I pushed forward and set up for my first combo. I skated backwards and reached back for a triple lutz double loop which I landed it with strength. A smile came to my lips, knowing that today will be a good skate. I felt powerful with every passing push. I just had to do a few more of those jumps flawlessly during the three-minute song, then I would land myself on the podium for the short program.

Before I knew it, I only had one more jump to land. I was out of breath, but knew I would get bonus points if I landed it. I could feel my legs shake under me but I refused to think about that, knowing I had to keep pushing if was going to be on that podium. This year would be my year, I was going to nationals; I was sure of it.

I turned backwards and set up for a triple salchow. I pushed up from the ice, then crossed my feet in the air and a second later, I was landing back on the ice. Holding the landing made me smile, knowing I had this in the bag. I turned forward and set up for the last spin as the music ended. I checked out of the spin and held my ending pose as a smile came to my face and the crowed cheered. This program was almost perfect and I was proud of it.

My vision blurred, truing the crowd into blobs of color, although I didn't worry about that now as I blinked the tears from my eyes and did a fist pump. All I could think of was that I gave it my best, and it was fantastic. I took a deep breath and waved to the colorful blobs.

"Yeah, El!!!!" I heard Cami cheer out to me from somewhere in the crowd.

I waved again, then skated off the ice, wiping happy tears as I got off. I leaned against the wall as I tried to catch my breath. Breathe in, breathe out. Come on, I need to breathe.

Kris wrapped her arm around me, pulling me to the kiss and cry as we waited for my scores to be called out. I let out a shaky breath as my vision cleared. This was the scariest part of the program, now I would be judged on a program that I thought was flawless. "That was pucking fantastic El," Kris said as she squeezed me. "I'm so proud of you."

I nodded between breaths. "That was pucking fantastic, wasn't it?" I grinned at her.

"I think you under-rotated that triple salchow at the end so you might get some points shaved off for that."

I frowned lightly with a nod, afraid of that since I didn't think I jumped up high enough for that last jump. "But I think I'm still in an excellent position. I just need to get a 53.9 to knock Taylor off the second-place podium."

"And the scores for Ellis da Souza are as follows..."

Suddenly, the crowd grew deathly quiet, and I shut my mouth as my attention shifted to the announcer. My hands shook as I sat under them in an attempt to warm them. I waited patiently for the group of numbers to be called. But as the announcer recalled the numbers, ringing came to my ears and for a second, I couldn't hear anything. I rubbed my ear, hoping that it would help, and it did.