Prologue: An Egg Covered in Feathers

A/N: I'm so so so sorry for not updating this for sooo long! I'm trying to change some stuff to the original plot cuz I feel like the plot is WAAY too um..what do I say...confusing and all over the place. Anyway, here is my book, with some tweaks added to it. I hope y'all enjoy! 

(And for those that loved this book, I didn't delete the chapters. I unpublished them instead because even if the old story to me is bleh I think that there is some tiny bit of good in them plus I don't want a situation where I accidentally erased all the good that this story has).

--------------------------------------

The sky was crimson, the scent of rotting flesh filled the air of the corpse-covered plain. Blood of dragon-kind spilled on the ground, seeping in to the dark, firm soil beneath the short, course plain grass. Bodies of dead dragons lay there, their talons wretched upward like a cat's unsheathed claws and their jaws were gaping wide; the last lace of terror they've felt forever etched on their lifeless faces.

 Then ahead in the distance, a dark figure with wings attached to his arms walked down the blood drenched land ; a wyvern. His dark purple scales slightly shined through the little light the sun could penetrate through the clouds. Yet his body was covered in the blood of dragon-kind, making him blend in with the dead corpses scattered across the land like dandelion seeds in the wind.

 His eyes glimmering in amusement as his face cracked up a smile. Then, he heard the flapping of wings up in the air. He was about to flee, when he looked up, and saw a familiar wyvern, with dark blue top scales, a cream underbelly and horns facing downwards. The wyvern landed right behind him and heaved a sigh of relief.

 "Leave." the dark figure commanded. The blue wyvern didn't flinch. He stayed where he was, and he looked rather concerned. The dark figure grew irritated "Leave now."

"Sir...how long will this matter of yours take?" the blue figure asked. The dark purple wyvern let out a growl in response, his fangs showing and his pupils shrunk to slits. His soldier sighed, hurt by his leader's tone but he managed to hide his expression. 

 "I...wish you well then. Be careful..." he replied. His leader just scoffed in response as he went away, looking back at him for moment before catching up with the other dragons. 

 The dark purple wyvern walked up towards one of the dead bodies. He pressed his palm hard on a sandy dragon's head. His palm caved in the corpse's skull as he snapped the corpse's neck, the last of its fresh blood trickling down from its jaws and throat.

 He stared at the corpse's lifeless eyes as if he is unaware that the body was once a living being. He then raised his head and slowly closed his eyes. As soon as he did, slivers of shadows began to swirl around and consume him. The swirls grew more intense until they quickly died down, revealing an empty space of where the figure once was.

   ~

 Past the dark grey fog that covered a faraway landscape, a cave lay hidden from the chaos far ahead. The skies were a pale blue dotted with clouds and the land below was a lush, grassy, somewhat rocky valley, very unlike the bloody chaos that was the plains. Among the landscape, was a wide den, hidden in the stones that make up the whole place. Inside, a wyvern pale as pure light was crouching in the darkness, her wings covering her body. She wrapped her thin tail around something she's keeping near her abdomen, gently breathing warm air at it. Beside her, was another wyvern; a sandy-colored one with horns as black as a desert scorpion's shell.

 "How's the egg doing Dawn?" the sandy wyvern asked, her pale, gaunt face lowered to get a glimpse of it. The egg wasn't like any other egg. Instead of a bumpy shell, it was brimmed with grey feathers and it was soft and velvety to the touch, like the carpets of a royal palace.

 "They're doing fine, Tempest," Dawn answered, grooming her blood-red tail spines before gently wrapping her tail around the egg. "I just hope that this egg would be what the prophecy has foretold."

 Tempest sighed. "Me too."

The green wyvern looked up at the sandy's calm, yet concerned face. "Aren't you the one that prophesied this in the first place?" 

 "So you're saying us prophets aren't allowed to have doubts?" Tempest replied strictly. "We're not godly beings that live in the heavens, we're dragons like yourselves. Don't attack the messenger, Dawn."

 Dawn opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Her sun-colored eyes gazed over the egg sympathetically, watching it hopefully.

 Then, they heard a crack. Both wyverns looked at the feathered shell hopefully. 

 "It's hatching!" Dawn exclaimed.

 "Move your tail away. Give it space to move!" Tempest exclaimed. Dawn moved her tail away as soon as the old, sandy wyvern spoke. The egg's surface began to show cracks beneath the feathers. Soon, a tiny snout popped out, followed by a small head and a tiny, pink body. Its limbs scrambled through the cracks as it hauled itself out, chunks of feathered eggshells falling on top of the creature.

 Dawn carefully cleared away the eggshells so that the tiny dragonet could have more room to move. She carefully lifted the dragon so that it would stand on its limbs. The dragonet clumsily crawled onto its mother's claws. Tempest examined the youngling, her golden eyes scanned all around him. The tiny blob of skin and flesh felt her gaze on him and quickly hid within the pile of shells. 

"A boy, huh? " Tempest chuckled. "Better be a strong one if he's going to carry out the prophecy."

 "He's perfect," Dawn whispered slightly, nuzzling her child. The dragonet squeaked in response before nuzzling back. Dawn lifted her head. "His new name needs to suit him, Tempest." She gazed at the old sand-colored dragon.

 Tempest nodded before she gently picked the dragonet and examined them. Silence grew between them as the sky began to darken outside and rain started to fall.

 "So...what shall we name him?" Dawn politely asked. Tempest was quiet before her old eyes sparkled before she responded:

 "...Aether. His name is Aether." As she spoke his name, the dragonet let out a soft squeal.