Spinning Tops at School is Child's Play for a New Guy

"Get your darned tail off of me, chicken." Adonia hissed in a low voice. Aether dragged his tail away from her.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to.." Aether spoke, his voice shaky. The poor feathered wyvern was still wary of her, after all. 

Adonia clicked her tongue. "You're lucky I'm in a good mood today.."

Oh of course you are, as always...he thought in his mind as the two of them sat next to each other within a room, along with an unknown wyvern. He was tall yet stood in a slightly crooked stature, and his eyes were a bottomless pit of white that shone amidst scales of the deepest violet hues. With those features, along with some shattered horns protruding from his body, one would mistake him for an alien if he hadn't told anyone else otherwise. 

"So..." he began to speak, his deep voice echoing within the wooden confines. "...you must be the new child...an odd one, you are."

He then tilted his head, which was marred with rough scales and horns towards the reddish vermillion dragon beside Aether. "And you...his guardian?" he spat out, his lips shaking with every word. "They must've been idiots to have him as your ward, Adonia..."

Adonia clicked her tongue in annoyance. "They can have this chicken for all I care.."

The elder wyvern shook his head. "However idiotic they are, you must do your job. I'd not get shafted from this establishment if I were you.."

He gazed back at Aether. "Call me Bezaeel." he told the young wyvern who looked at him with fear.

"I'm Aether..." he replied nervously. He could feel every word shake in his throat.

"Nervous?" Bezaeel asked coldly. Aether replied with a nod. The elder wyvern chuckled.

"Is it because of Adonia..?" he asked, to which Adonia hissed and glared at him.

"We've been at it the whole morning, let's not repeat that stupid fact..." she groaned. Bezaeel sighed.

"Fine. However, I can't move on if there is some unforeseen negative tension between the warden and her ward." Bezaeel said calmly. Adonia scoffed.

"Oh great, and I thought getting me to do the job is enough..." 

Bezaeel shook his head. "Luckily, not all calamities are incurable..."

Bezaeel then brought out his left claw and closed his eyes, focusing...meditating...then on his hands, a trail of light and shadow traced a rune before summoning a spinning top.

Adonia scoffed yet again for the umpteenth time. "You want us to play with a dragonet toy? What are we, five?"

Aether looked at the spinning top on Bezaeel's claws. "What is that for, anyway?"

"Competition. I'd assume you'd know how to play with these right?" Bezaeel said as he handed the top over to him. Aether grasped the wooden toy curiously, mulling over the details of symbols carved on them and the shape the spinning top took. It was a round cube with a stick pierced through the middle that had one sharpened edge at the bottom.

"Certain symbols carry specific instructions," Bezaeel replied as he summoned more things out of his claws: this time, a pile of candied nuts in the shape of tiny cubes. Bezaeel was about to continue his explanation when he suddenly turned to Adonia.

"Since you seem to know so much about this game, care to explain it to our newcomer?"

Adonia groaned. "Every child of the Imperii knows how to play this game. It's no use for me to explain it to some chicken down the streets.."