Tiny Apartment

Arthur made sure to keep a respectful distance from you as he led you to his apartment in downtown Gotham. But you didn't want that, you wanted to fell the warmth of his arms when it brushed past you. You moved to be closer to him every chance you got, despite him being a complete stranger.

You were standing so close to him now, you could almost taste the nicotine off of him yourself, the cheap $2.99 cologne did little in the way of concealing that. But you relished in it. The mixture of scents had a sensual way of inviting you in. Arthur noticed the way you stared at him from his peripheral vision, but he only thought he was imagining it. He had to be imagining it. Why would a young, gorgeous woman, he just met be remotely interested in him? He brushed off the idea as quickly as it came and focused on getting to his apartment without being jumped or robbed by the people walking the streets. He maneuvered you both so swiftly between the crowds of people, careful not to let your or himself touched anyone. He knew that an accidental bump on the shoulder could end in a deadly brawl, and he vowed to make sure nothing bad happened to you in his care.

——

At his apartment complex did Arthur feel his anxiety appear. He lived in the lower class apartments where you had push the elevator buttons four times for it to work, where you had to triple check to make sure your doors where locked at night. He thought you looked so out of place in such a disgusting living establishment. You deserved to be somewhere fancy not a rinky dinky place like this.

But you didn't mind. Not even in your darkest hour could you ever judge another person for where they lived. You understood how hard it is to make it, especially in this city. You were lucky enough to have wealthy parents that sustained you through your adolescence.

You both reached the second floor to his apartment door, upon your request to take the stairs instead of the elevator, and went inside. His place was a bit messy and clustered, it was so different from the home you grew up in. Mother made sure your house was obsessively clean, there was barely any trace that anyone resided in the home besides the polished furniture. Actually, it was refreshing to see a bit of mess. You put your waist length hair in a bun and gave Arthur a reassuring smile, letting him know you were about t start cooking.

Arthur stood awkwardly in the middle of the room unsure of what to say or do. This was the first time that he had guests over and he didn't want to make a fool of himself. He watched as you quietly searched his cabinets for ingredients for the dish you had in mind. He also saw the disappointment in your eyes as you realized that he didn't have much to eat. With a heavy heart he spoke up.

"You don't have to make anything." He looked at his shoes as he spoke so he wouldn't have to see your pity for him. To your dismay you stopped looking for ingredients and just fixed you both some coffee.
He clasped his hands tightly around the mug to keep you from watching him grow fidgety as you worked the hair tie out of your bun. You shook your head, untangling your long locks free from one another in the process. Your now wild hair bounced around your shoulders and down your back. He cleared his throat, feeling his body grow hot as he observed you.

"Let's sit together." You led him to his couch in front of the tv. So many questions raced your mind but you couldn't bring yourself to speak just yet. You simply admired the man next you. He was beautiful in an unconventional way, frustratingly attractive.

In that moment you realized how lonely you truly felt in life. After just meeting this man you immediately made an attachment to him. The gnawing ache in the pit of your stomach that spread heat embarrassingly to between your thighs, making your heart flutter and your skin radiate heat. You found Arthur to be intensely alluring, you weren't denying that any longer, you couldn't even if you wanted to.

"My mother is asleep in the other room so we have to try and keep quiet" Arthur broke the silence with those baffling words. The apartment was so tiny it was hard to picture two people living inside.

"Ok I'll be quiet. I just can't thank you enough for what you did for me. Arthur, you're truly one of the kindest people I've met since I came to Gotham." That's saying a lot since you met new people everyday.

His mind was racing, you were not only just being nice but you were now growing dally. That didn't mean there was interest, it meant you were a beautiful woman with a kind heart. He was graced by your presence, but he strictly reminded himself that it was nothing more.

"It's no be deal. I mean, anyone would've done it." Deep down in your heart, you knew that wasn't true. This city is awful and people are awful. Arthur wasn't like everyone else. "Especially because you're family fame."

"I didn't even know you recognized me." You said genuinely surprised.

"Of course! My mom and I watch the news together every day and we always see you standing beside Thomas Wayne's family. You and your husband." He said the last word with disgust, which you quickly took note of.

"I don't love him. It's all a big show for the public. Just like everything else I do in my life." You whispered the last part but Arthur still heard you. Although he didn't comment on it, Arthur felt the same way about his life. Maybe you two weren't so different after all. Even though you didn't know much about Arthur, you felt your souls were intertwined somehow, it felt bizarre. Your thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the Murray Franklin show's theme song playing.

"Oh, I love this show. I try not to miss a single episode." You said excitingly. While your eyes were glued to the screen, Arthur's eyes were stuck on you. Your laugh was something he could look at forever; the way your nose scrunched up, the wrinkles at the corner of your eyes, your pearly white teeth. He had to secretly pinch himself several times before he could believe that you were real. That he had a real-life angel sitting with him in his living room. He wanted you to laugh at his jokes, just as hard as you laughed at Murray's.

"You know, I do stand up comedy." Your eyes ripped away from the screen immediately.

"Oh my gosh, you do? I would love to come see you sometime! You on stage with your handsome smile, I know you make a lot of people laugh." You blushed as those words left your lips.

His palms began to sweat at your compliment, heart aching. He was savoring every part of you and this closeness you now shared, knowing it would soon end. He couldn't continue like this, he would need to start distancing himself, and fast. This was becoming too much for him, this wasn't supposed to be this hard.

"Yeah, I'm having a show on Tuesday at Pogos. You should come." This means that you and Arthur will see each other again. Your heart swelled with excitement. Tuesday was only two days away. The more you talked to Arthur, the more you realized who charming he is once he is comfortable.

After a while of watching Murray and getting to know Arthur, you realized the day had passed and it was now 11:30 pm. You had such a busy day tomorrow and you really couldn't afford to be here any longer, no matter how much your heart begged you to stay.

"I'm sorry Arthur, but I have to leave. I have tons of work to do tomorrow." Arthur smiled widely to hide his sadness.

"It's okay. I will see you Tuesday." He said. You nodded and walked towards the door. You took notice of his staring as you walked away. A little voice in your head reminded you that you didn't really know who Arthur was and that he could still be dangerous. Just as you were about to open the door to leave, Arthur spoke up.

"Why do you do it?" He asked.

"Why do I do what, Arthur?"

"Why do you pretend to love him?" His voice cracked as he spoke.

"Because I have to. I just have to." You didn't give Arthur time to respond before you left the apartment. Your heart drummed against your chest and you found yourself repeating Arthur's question in your head the entire way home.

Why do you pretend to love him?

You pulled into your driveway for the second time today and didn't get out. That night, you decided to sleep in your car.