14

Other than Emmett expressing his feelings for her, the day dragged on like normal. Well, almost. Cynthia 'took over' as Queen Bee and completely abused her power just as she expected, and it became the headline for the school's newspaper.

Lilith Chamberlain Steps Down

Completely unoriginal but it documented the rise and fall of Lilith as the school's Queen Bee. And the rise of Cynthia as the new Queen. Lilith could careless, Cynthia could have her two months of fame before everyone went their separate ways and never spoke to each other again. Axel was already rumored to be banging some girl on the soccer team anyways.

"Lilith!" She heard Emmett call at lunch time.

She looked at the Cullen table and saw that he, his siblings and the rest of the school looking at her. She was used to the attention, but it didn't make it any better. She sat in the open seat next to Emmett and the student body returned to their lunch, except for Bella, whom she saw was still watching them from a different table. Jasper seemed to stiffen as she sat down and she felt Emmett move closer to her.

"I heard about Cynthia, I'm sorry." Alice said.

She didn't talk to the girl, except for a couple of words here and there, but she could tell that Alice was actually sincere.

"I'm not, I never liked her anyways." She bit into her pizza slice. They all just watched her, not eating, but they had food in front of them.

"So why hang out with her?" Edward asked.

Lilith shrugged, "Sticking to the status quo of high school and all that, which is garbage by the way, but why fix what isn't broken?"

They all seemed to understand to an extent. Television was pretty dramatic about cliques but for the most part, they were right. People tended to gravitate towards others who liked similar things as they did. Honestly, it felt liberating to be able to be who she wanted and not have to act a certain way anymore.

High school be damned.

"So are you guys finally dating?" Alice suddenly asked making Lilith choke on her pizza.

She coughed into her arm as she felt Emmett gently hitting her back, through her blurred vision, she could see Bella looking at her in concern. Emmett handed her, her iced tea and Lilith chugged it, washing the food down with it. Emmett rubbed her back and even when she was done coughing, kept an arm around her.

"Chill Cupid, we're just friends." Lilith said and took another sip of her tea to get the hoarseness out of her voice.

"Yeah Alice, don't pry." Emmett chided, shooting her a glare for making his mate choke.

"Sorry."

She was just excited to see her brother finally happy again. After Rosalie left, she didn't think Emmett would ever find happiness again. Emmett tried to convince Rosalie that he wanted to be with her instead of Lilith but Rosalie didn't want to be second best. She was angry, but understood that when it came to vampires and their true mates. Rosalie wouldn't hold a candle to Lilith in Emmett's eyes no matter how much he tried to convince her otherwise.

Emmett started talking to Jasper about something and she looked across the table to see Edward stealing glances at Bella. As if Bella could feel her thoughts, she stood up and began walking towards them. More specifically, Lilith. Bella smiled awkwardly at everyone and then shot Lilith a look.

"What's up?" Lilith asked.

Bella gave her a small smile when she noticed that Emmett had his arm around the back of Lilith's chair and made a mental note to ask about it later. "Come to Port Angeles with me? Jessica and Angela want to go dress shopping and want me to come, but I don't want to be alone with them."

Lilith glanced at her table of friends who gawked at her, the Asian one looked like he was drooling and she grimaced. "Pass."

Bella jutted out her bottom lip and clasped her hands together, "Please? I really don't want to go with them."

"And I do? Much offense Bella, but your friends are losers." Emmett chuckled next to her. Bella's eyes glistened and she looked like she was about to cry. "Fine, but you owe me."

"Awesome! Thanks Lilith." Bella looked at Edward before walking back to her table.

"I'm so gonna regret this."

"Don't be such a downer babe, I'm sure it won't be that bad." Emmett gently chuckled at her expense.

She couldn't help her heart when it thumped louder at his term of endearment that just slipped out. And of course the whole Cullen clan heard it.

-

Lilith wasn't even going to prom, and she couldn't believe that she had to sit and listen to Jessica and her friend comment on how much they loved their terrible dress choices. Bella was preoccupied with a book and Lilith had an inkling that she had an ulterior motive to coming here.

Lilith nudged Bella's side when they tried to get her attention again about more awful dresses that they claimed were 'the one'. Her mom always told her that if she had nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all, so needless to say, Lilith was quiet almost the entire time.

Some guys were gawking at the two girls and while they went to change out of the dresses, Bella dragged her to a bookstore.

"I knew you didn't want to go with them, you're not even going to prom either. I knew I shouldn't have let you talk me into this." Lilith said as they walked down the street, though she was happy to be away from Bella's friends. There was just so much she could take of Jessica trying to impress her.

"Either? Emmett didn't ask you?"

Her face burned, "I'm not going, even if he did ask."

"What's going on with you two?"

"Nothing, we're just friends."

Bella laughed, "Yeah right, he looks at you like you're his everything and follows you like a puppy. He's in love with you."

"You're being ridiculous, Bella."

Bella smirked at her but said nothing else on the subject. "Can I tell you something?"

"Shoot."

"I think the Cullens are vampires."

Silence

Complete silence was in the air until Lilith tilted her head back and laughed loudly, catching the attention of the shop owner as they walked inside the bookstore.

Lilith raised her brow and took her voice down a notch, "Seriously Bella? Vampires? Do you know how crazy that sounds?"

"Think about it Lilith, pale, cold skin, they never eat at lunch, gold eyes, the list goes on."

Bella flipped through the pages in the old book to illustrate her point and Lilith had to hand it to her, the girl was determined. The thought of Emmett being a vampire was crazy but wasn't too far fetched. Maybe Bella was onto something.

"Okay Bella, I'll bite, how exactly are you gonna to confirm your suspicions?"

"Ask?" Which sounded more like a question than a statement but good luck to her.

"If it were that easy, you should've done it a long time ago." Bella rolled her eyes and went towards the supernatural section of the shop.

Lilith glanced around the shop, keeping an eye on Bella, neither of them had been on this side of town and she was feeling on edge.

By the time Bella found what she was looking for, it was dark outside. Bella said she had seen a shortcut to get back to her car and Lilith stupidly followed her. They got to a parking lot and saw the same guys that teased Jessica and her friend earlier.

"Hey girls."

"Where are you going?"

"I like the darker one."

Lilith pushed Bella behind her, away from the guys. "Get back, Bella."

She clenched her fists and started swinging the closer they got to her. A few punches were thrown her way, making her body erupt in pain. Someone punched her in the temple and she felt her body fall in slow motion just as she heard tires squeal and someone yell out her name. She blacked out.