12

The faded house came into view and when she saw her father's car in the driveway, her heart sped up, loud enough for Emmett to look at her as he parked.

"Are you okay?" Whatever was wrong with her was gone as soon as she turned her attention towards him. She was a pro at masking her true feelings.

"I'm fine, thanks for the ride." She went to open the door but his cold hand stopped her. She looked at his large hand that dwarfed her small dainty one and then looked at him. "Seriously Emmett, I'm okay."

He released her hand and she couldn't help but feel saddened, but quickly dismissed the thought as she walked into her house. When she heard Emmett's Jeep drive away, she sighed in relief.

"And where the hell have you been?" Her father's voice yelled.

His black hair was matted and disheveled, his beard was scruffy and he looked like he had been wearing his current clothes for a few days. They were dirty and covered in beer and who knows what else.

"Are ya deaf?" His voice was closer and she cowered in fear.

"I was just out studying."

"With a boy? You're lying!"

"No I'm not." She weakly replied.

Pain was the only thing she felt as her father back handed her to the ground. It was the familiar kind of pain, the pain that haunted her in her nightmares. Her cheek stung as she put her hand on it, looking at her father through her tears. He didn't care, he just continued to glare at her.

"Stop lying to me you pathetic waste of space! You should've died instead of your mother that night!" He landed a harsh kick to her ribs but she couldn't feel it.

It was like a switch flipped on in her body and all she felt was rage. How dare he bring up her mother, her kind, gentle mother. Before she could stop herself, she jumped up and punched him in the face, sending him tumbling into the bookshelf. His head hit one of the shelves and books toppled on him, landing on his face. He groaned in pain and she used it as her chance to leave.

Lilith grabbed frozen vegetables from the freezer and made her way to her room, locking her door so that he couldn't come in when he came to. She sat at the edge of her bed with the vegetables on her face to stop the swelling.

When had her life come to this?

Night after night being used as her father's punching bag.

When will this end?

Two more months and I'm out of here

Graduation couldn't come soon enough, she would be out of this town and away from that man she had to call her father.

Her hand throbbed again and she hissed in pain when she tried to clench it. Blood pooled through the gauze that Dr. Cullen had just put on, she must've ripped the stitches. She sighed deeply as she looked under her bed to find the first aid kit for situations such as these.

She grabbed the bottle of whiskey that she stole from her father and took several shots, grimacing each time the liquid hit her throat. Next she began to carefully unwrap the bandage so that she could inspect the damage. Lilith instantly regretted it the second the air touched her wounds, many of them were ripped open as she suspected.

Once the alcohol kicked in and somewhat numbed the pain, she went to work with her tweezers, needle, and thread to repair the damage.

-

When she had woken up the next morning, her alarm clock read 9:46am, she forgot to set her alarm for school and now she figured there was no use in going into school late. The second she lifted herself out of bed, she had to stop the scream from pushing past her lips as her ribs ached in protest. They weren't broken, she knew that for a fact, they were just bruised.

Lilith pushed past the pain and made her way to the bathroom, making her winded. She cut off her shirt because she couldn't lift her arms to take it off without hurting herself even more and looked at the massive bruise on her ribs. It almost covered her whole left side. She grimaced when she looked at her face, she had gotten hit in the same spot twice in two days. The right side of her face was swollen beyond belief and was beginning to bruise even worse.

Make up wouldn't fix this.

Lilith couldn't stand to look at her reflection anymore so she quickly began to clean up the house, anything to get her mind off of everything for awhile.

Once the house was cleaned and put back together as best as she could, she was finally able to relax. Her father wouldn't be home for a few more hours or hopefully in a few days. There was no use in denying it, she was going to be out of school for the next few days.

With that knowledge she hung around the house for the next couple of days, her bruises were now a yellowish color and her ribs didn't hurt as much, only when she exerted herself.

The best part? Her father still hasn't been home. As terrible as it sounds, she wished he was dead.

The doorbell rang and she furrowed her brows. No one ever came to her house except maybe Paul, but even he has been absent yet again from her life. She made a mental note to go to his house soon as she opened the door and was met with golden eyes.

"What are you doing here, Emmett?"