The Maiden And The Wolf---Chapter 6-Part 2 (improved)

Start from the beginning

This time he stayed close to Elena as they headed off in case they came across those two men and he was sure that if they did they wouldn't just let them pass unquestioned.                                                                                                            

The forest was quiet, almost to quiet and still for Dakota's liking; normally there should be the hive of activity of the squirrels and other smaller animals gathering food greedily after the long the winter, geese flocking overhead flying back towards their normal lands now spring was coming and maybe even wild cats or other wolves hunting what remained of the deer herds as they migrated back from the depth of the land, the snowfall that closes off every valley out of the land of Altas was now starting to melt as the climate warmed and the days grew longer.                                                                                                                             

As they walked Elena talked about nothing in particular, her younger sister Ren, her father and her life on the farm, her uncle Locke who had travelled all over the kingdom and her mother who had died recently.                                                           

Dakota listened and wished he could have told her about his life when he was a child and the reason why he had lost his way and became the man in the legend but of course he couldn't. Mentally he swore to himself that once he was human again he would tell Elena all about his past, good and bad, she disserved to know and she needed to know what type of man she was planning to spend the rest of her life.                                                                                                            

The landscape changed suddenly the forest fell away, a grassy slope led to the mountains which rose abruptly from the earth in front of us. A shallow cave was cleaved into the mountains side, a small fire was burning gentle outside and an elderly man sat cross-legged behind the fire his back to the cave.                              

Dakota led the way carefully down the steep slope Elena following close behind.                                                                                                                                                As they got closer they could see the cave was filled with scrolls, plants and other strange looking instruments.                                                                             

The man didn't seem to notice Dakota or Elena even when they stood on the other side of the fire. He was very old, his skin lined and grey, his silver hair and beard long and unkempt, he was dressed in dull brown robes and wore no shoes on his feet.                                                                                                                                   

In his hands was a wooden flute which he, as they watched, raised to his cracked lips and blew into. A sharp piercing sound split the silence, to Dakota's sensitive wolf ears it made him recoil at once but then the warlock began to move his fingers up around down the flute, covering some of the tiny holes and the sound quietened and became soft and pleasant.                                                                       

Dakota sighed and stepped forwards to Elena's side again and just listened to the tune which seemed to be telling out a story. A strong desire to howl along with the song rose up inside of his chest until it almost hurt. Unable to hold it back any longer Dakota lifted him head and howled.                                                      

Elena laughed and at the sound of her laughter the warlock stopped blowing and dropped his hands to his lap the flute's spell broken.                                

Embarrassed Dakota tensed his shoulders and nuzzled Elena's hand with his nose.                                                                                                                                

The warlock raised his eyes to them for the first time and spoke hoarsely.          

"Prince Dakota it has been far too long," the warlock's voice was less then a rasp, ancient and fragile.                                                                                                                

Dakota inclined his head to the Warlock; remember when they had meet once before by accident, he had just been a boy about ten years old and he had fallen from his horse while training alone and injured his shoulder. The warlock had just been passing and happened to see his accident and rushed to his aid, giving him something for the pain and had helped him back to the castle where he told the guards what happened then left.                                                                                  

"I never got a chance to thank you, Solamon," Dakota said without realizing it, "so I shall do it know. Thank you for aiding me after my fall, if you ever need anything I hope you will come to me and I will get to repay you for your assistance."                                                                                                                             "Dakota!" Elena gasped, staring at him in disbelief, "your speaking!"                  

The warlock laughed and clapped his hands together, "it's a simple spell cast only by the music from a subtle instrument," he inclining the flute on the ground, "it will fade after a few days or so. I hope, your majesty, that I didn't over step my bounds."                                                                                                                               

"How can I ever repay you," Dakota said, not truly believing the human voice that was coming from his wolf mouth.                                                                          

Solamon laughed again, "why do you feel you must repay a simple act of kindness I do not understand but if it would please your majesty then you could honour an old dying man by giving him your royal presents today."                            

"All you wish for is company?" Elena repeated amazed.                                          

"Is that so surprising?" the warlock whispered, turning to Elena with warm tear filled eyes, "I have lived for so long and seen everyone I have ever cared about grow old and die. I wish to join them soon but I do not wish to die alone."           

"Then it will be so," said Dakota, "now what can you tell us about separate realities?"

End of Chapter 6-Part 2-------------Chapter 7-Part 1 coming soon :)

So, What did you think???? 

Please leave a comment below and tell me ;)

And become a Fan if you want to read more!!!!