Chapter 12: bonding day

Start from the beginning

I knew some people here, but most were either busy or I didn't want to disturb them.

Xavier liked to spend time with his family. They had stayed infinitely close after his father passed.

Mikey was working. He was also dating someone so they needed to spend time together, not be broken up by some needy girl.

...

I wandered for a while until I came to a park. Not the nice one near the station that Mikey took me to. This one was more rustic and abandoned.

Despite the lack of a presence, the park was still beautiful.

I took a seat on one of the benches, making Milo lay at my feet.

I closed my eyes and tilted my head backwards. The sun cascaded down my face, brightening my freckles.

I simply enjoyed.

A small smile adored my face at the comfort of heat on my skin. It was so comforting that I fell asleep right in the abandoned park, with my head laying back.

...

I was woken up from my peaceful slumber by an insistent ringing sound. I realized it was my phone blowing up with texts and calls.

What time is it?

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and looked around me. The sky was lit up with vibrant colors of the sunset.

I grabbed my phone and read through the texts.

Nathan:
Hey , where are you?

Carter:
Are you not here?  Where'd you go?

Grayson:
We're getting worried. Ben said he woke you up but you're not here.

Xavier:
Hey sweetheart. Where are you? Everyone's worried.

I also had calls from Maya and Scott with voicemails that basically said the same thing as the boys' texts.

I called Xavier first.

Xavier:
Hey Laney. Where've you been?

Delaney:
I accidentally fell asleep at the park.

Xavier:
Sounds about right. But why were you there? I Carter said you were having a 'family day'.

Delaney:
It didn't feel right. They looked like they were having fun. I didn't want to intrude. They're already letting me stay there. If I annoy them they could get rid of me.

Xavier:
Oh, sweetheart. They wanted you there. They started calling me early this morning, asking if I kidnapped you.

Delaney:
Sorry. I'm trying to fit in.

Xavier:
I know, I'm not mad. You should head back though. Before they call the cops, preferably.

Delaney:
Okay. I love you.

Xavier:
I love you more, baby.

I hung up the phone and kept walking back towards the house. I tried to be fast so I didn't cause any more problems.

Jeez, they were probably already tired of me.

Milo started trotting even faster, making me know we were close to the house. By the time we reached the Thomas' driveway, we were almost at a full-blown sprint.

I opened the door slowly, scared to face everyone who had apparently been worried about me.

How do I react?

I wanted to be quiet so that I wouldn't have been put in a socially awkward situation, but Milo has other plans.

He barked thrice, alerting the whole house of our arrival.

"Thanks for the help, Milo." I whispered harshly, as if the dog could understand my sarcasm.

Footsteps were coming at me from every direction. They sounded like a bunch of elephants on steroids.

"Where were you?!"

"We've been worried sick!"

"You've got some explaining to do, young lady!"

"You best have a good excuse or else you'd better be ready for a punishment." That one was Scott.

One look in his eyes told me I wouldn't be getting out of this one without an explanation.

"I fell asleep in the park." I squeaked sheepishly in front of everyone. My cheeks turned crimson, and my palms grew sweaty.

"Why did you go to the park?" Colton asked.

"You guys were having a family day." I muttered.

"And you missed it all! We'll have to redo it!" Exclaimed Ben.

"We wanted you there. Why didn't you join us?" Maya asked sadly.

"I felt like I was intruding so I went for a walk. I'm sorry I made you guys worried." I answered.

"Delaney. I told you that you were a part of this family. There's no going back." Scott said. I opened my mouth to respond, but before I could, Scott continued.

"Everyone go to bed. Delaney, follow me." He ordered sternly.

I followed him cautiously. He said I would be punished, but how did he punish.

Lots of past families have 'punished' me before. I've got the scars to prove it.

With memories and traumas in mind, my shaking legs fell in step behind the tall, brooding man as he led me towards my room.