I nodded at what he said, a bit surprised that he actually gets it. Kinda.

Maybe leaving him with Marley for an entire week while I was at home sick did have a positive effect. Look at him all grown up in his big man brain pants fighting off ableists. He is definitely a product of Marley's innumerable ramblings.

Later, Cal seemed a bit out of himself, almost losing his balance by the time we passed by the actual garbage bins.

"I think I'm getting a little lightheaded from the stench. How in the world did you two keep up with this everyday for the past years?" Calix asked as he covered his nose with a handkerchief.

I rolled my eyes and sensed Marley did the same.

"Immunity and a strong stomach," Marley answered bluntly.

As soon as we passed that area and were closer to the parking lot, Cal looked amused. He was now facing Marley with a small smile on his face. I just know that he savors every interaction he gets with Marley just because of his little and very obvious crush on her.

"Dang, where'd you even get those?" Calix said, playing along.

"Try the dark web. They have everything." I said with a subtle smile, in an attempt to cut the flow between Calix and Marley, ultimately annoying the guy. He even narrowed his eyes at me. How fun.

Once we got to the parking lot, Marley and Calix parted ways with me and I watched them from afar as they talked to Marley's dad. He was inside their family truck now, looking scary as fuck with his thick moustache, dark hair, and wide built but still, he was nodding to something Cal said. Calix smiled and brought his motorcycle to the back of the truck before helping Marley inside, laughing at something she must've said.

I see they've gotten along pretty well lately. Marley stopped running over Calix's foot on purpose now and was nicer to him. Pretty close too.

Not soon after, their truck came to life and off they went to Subway without me. I was happy for them with their weird, unsettling, newfound dynamic with suspicious flirty undertones. It was unusual, but I guess time will only tell what will happen next. For me, I just wanted to go home and see Athena.

I went all the way to the closest bus stop, waiting for the cool bus with a wheelchair lift to stop by. I still haven't got a license to drive, but last summer, I had already been evaluated for driving and was given the go signal for lessons. That was nice.

What was not nice was how my older twin brothers had football practice this afternoon and my younger sister took a half day off school so I just can't ask anyone to drive me somewhere.

Thank god it wasn't raining, I guess. I have definitely learned my lesson there.

I didn't have to wait long for the bus to come by. I have taken this same exact bus with the same exact driver for years now that every time I commute, the driver gives me a little smile then I'll ask him about his day. It was a small routine we have.

The driver, Benny, as he told me once when I was thirteen, gladly let down the platform that served as a ramp up and I thanked him for it before rolling up to that little nook in the bus made for wheelchairs. I liked how there was even a place to buckle up a chair in there.

Once Benny made sure I was settled, the bus moved and I immediately took my phone out.

I had been meaning to text Athena about today since the weekend that whenever I think of returning to our usual broadcast of studying in the bookstore, I start to overthink everything.

I don't want to scare her away or make her mad at me again. Weirdly, my gut has been telling me that she's one for the books. She's one to stay, though I can't say why at this point.