Eye Candy

It's been a lonely afternoon without Finnick. We have been spending so much time together this past week that his absence is unsettling. To make matters worse, today is my last day in the Capitol and my interview with Caesar. I'm waiting backstage in the tribute lineup with Thomas and Odette by my side. Keeping up my well-dressed reputation, Odette has me wearing a long mesh silver dress decorated with tiny silver stars. However, this time Odette has my autumn hair pulled back in a braided bun and finished off with a matching silver star cluster headpiece. On a less exciting note, Odette has Thomas sporting an all silver suit to match my star-themed outfit. He doesn't seem to be impressed by it, but at least he has a shirt on this time.

Fluffing my dress anxiously, Odette rambles, "Judging from the crowd's reaction from my ocean dress at the tribute parade, you will need to be the star of the show tonight... We have a reputation to uphold after all. Oh, I do hope they like this dress!" she adds sounding almost as nervous as I feel about to walk out on that stage.

Suddenly, Thomas's name is called. I watch him as he walks confidently out onto the stage and I begin to bite my nails nervously. He looks so apathetic like none of this matters and being on that stage is beneath him. I admire his sound state of being, he seems so sure of himself and his plan that he is willing to go about winning the games on his own.

Almost too soon his interview is over and Thomas leaves the stage and walks back to our District apartment with Mags. My heart begins to pound uncontrollably as I hear Caesar announcing my arrival, "Now, for the girl whose dress stole the show and our hearts at the tribute parade, Miss Annie Cresta!"

I walk out and am blinded by the stage lights but walk cautiously toward the silhouette I assume is the host, Caesar. As I approach him, his face becomes clear and I see his eyes roaming my body, "Wowie wow wow wow, Miss Cresta. You look absolutely fabulous darling, doesn't she folks???" he announces as I arrive in front of him.

*Audience cheers and whistles*

"Now that dress...is the 'star' of the show hahaha, I just got to touch it" he exclaims as he reaches his hand out, petting down the side of my dress and eventually brushing over my backside.

"Oops! Got carried away there. You don't mind do you Annie?" he teases with a sickening smile. I feel my stomach turning.

Remember what Finnick said.

"Not at all," I add laughing uncomfortably.

Happy with my response, he grins and looks back towards the crowd, "Isn't she sweet folks?"

*Audience laughs*

He looks back at me and continues, "Why don't you take a seat so we can get started with the interview." He gestures towards the leather seats behind us while taking his seat.

"Okay" I reply slowly. I feel my knees wobble as I grasp the couch, sitting down and crossing my legs. Once I am situated I look back up at Caesar and he continues.

"So, with the games only two nights away...how do you feel about your odds?" As he asks this question I scan the crowd for Finnick. My eyes stop when I recognize his ocean eyes among the sea of people. They are trained on me, and with his body leaned forward in his chair, I can tell he is watching my performance intensely. I lose track of my thoughts and try to remember what Caesar had just asked me.

"Of winning?" I question.

*Audience laughs*

"Well, I think that answers our question, wouldn't you say folks!" Caesar adds while looking back at the cackling crowd. Satisfied with their merriment, Caesar looks back at me and raises the microphone back to his lips.

"So, who is to blame for such low self-confidence? Who is your mentor darling?" he adds with a suddenly serious tone.

"Finnick Odair" I reply as my ears are overloaded with the screams of the Capitol women.

"Well Well Well, aren't you a lucky girl. I'm sure he has treated you very well, very well indeed HAHAHA isn't that right folks?" Caesar adds winking at me. My stomach lurches again.

*Crowd cheers and whistles suggestively*

"Well he is a great mentor, he has been there for me throughout this entire process and I'm very grateful to him. I'm lucky he is my mentor." I add hoping to shed light on the true Finnick, the Finnick I know, to the Capitol spectators.

*Crowd: Aweeeee*

"Well isn't that touching," Caesar nods as he tears his eyes from the crowd and back at me."Thanks for your time here today you've been a real treat" he added with a wink before closing off, "Give it up for the lovely Miss Cresta Folks!!!!!" I hear the audience's final claps as I walked off stage to see Finnick waiting for me. He must have made his way back here from his seat in the crowd during Caesar's closeout.

"Is that true?" he asks.

"Every word" I reply.

He smiles his real smile and wraps his arm around my shoulder. Latched on to each other, we walk back to the apartment to rest feeling satisfied with today's events