Chapter 13: They Are Not People

The rest of the day I helped Lori, Carol, and Beth cook dinner for the night. Maggie and Glenn left a while ago to go into town and pick up something for Lori. Andrea and Shane left together to search for Sophia again. It's been at least two days since Sophia went missing but nobody wanted to tell Carol she was probably dead. It would take a miracle for a twelve year girl to survive in the wilderness with no weapons nor food. Instead we all played along and gave Carol hope as we took turns searching for Sophia.

As for Carl, he slowly but surely walked himself back into the barn house. He hasn't bothered to apologize and neither did and I wasn't. I think spending time alone is best for now, it was just too much pressure on both of us. I was going to let Carl get a good nights sleep and see where it goes from there. I was still planning on proving Shane was lying but I wasn't quite sure how I was going to do it.

"Hun, can you go into my tent and get me a shirt? I got this one a little wet from washing the vegetables" she laughed. I nodded and ran over to her tent, opening the zipper and stepping inside.

I went through her duffel bag, throwing pictures and clothing out. As my hands rummaged through the duffel bag, a soft rattle came from one of the zippers inside. I unzipped one of the zippers to find a small cylinder bottle with a white label across it.

Morning after pills: Take as instructed on the back of the bottle.

I was confused for a second as to why Lori had morning after pills in her bag but realization crushed me like a wall of bricks tumbling down. Lori was pregnant. I quickly shoved the bottle back into the zipper and snatched a plaid shirt from the duffel bag. I ran out and handed the shirt to Lori, "What's wrong sweet heart?" Lori asked.

"Nothing, um, do you know where Glenn is?" I asked. I wasn't able to look Lori in the eye alone looking at her stomach to see if it was true. I know Lori had gotten Glenn to go to the town not far from here so he might know if its true or not.

"Hmm... I think he went off into the barn house to talk to Hershel or something, why?" She asked, dumping the sliced vegetables into a giant pot of boiling water.

"I just wanted to see if he could get me something from town the next time he goes down there" I lied. I speed walked to the barn house, swinging the door open with impatience. As I walked to the kitchen, I ran into Carl. Hitting his chest with my face. Great. We only looked into each others eyes for a split second before I dropped mine to the floor. "Sorry" I mumbled.

I moved around him and towards the kitchen before he grabbed my wrist. I didn't turn around because I wasn't ready to talk to him yet. Instead I kept my eyes glued to the ground, frozen in place. "Adara, I-" Carl choked as if refraining from saying something he knew he'd regret.

"Let go of me" I said in a low bitter tone.

"Look I'm sorry I said those things to you, I-"

"No, you're not. You're only saying that because I'm pissed at you. You can't just say things and then expect me to forgive you right after. The world doesn't work like that" I turned around. "Please, let go Carl" Carl hesitated but dropped my wrist from his grip. I rushed into the kitchen to find Glenn and Hershel in the middle of a heated conversation.

"They aren't people and they will never be again. How could you keep-" Glenn stopped when he noticed me standing in the door way.

"Glenn, can talk to you for a second?" I asked. Glenn looked at Hershel who's face was as hard as stone then nodded. Hershel left out the back door before Glenn followed me out into the living room. "You know how you go into town once in a while to get something for Lori, right?"

"Yeah, what about it? You need something in town?" he asked.

I shook my head, "No, I don't need anything. I was wondering if you could tell me what you were getting for Lori?"