Chapter 16: Guilty Until Proven Innocent

When we got back to the farm, Hershel stitched up Randall. As much as Randall was just a kid, everyone in the group didn't feel safe with him walking freely around the camp. Instead, Shane chained him up in a small shed.

It's almost been a week and Carl and I hadn't talked very much. We just kind of did our own thing. He wasn't mad but I could tell something was bothering him. He stopped talking to me after Rick brought Randall back to the barn.
Instead of cooking with Lori, Andrea, and Carol, Rick had me watch over Randall for the week.

I walked in the shed with a bowl stew the girls had made for lunch. Randall looked up, a Amalie immediately appearing from his cut lip. "What do I have today? Smells good" he asked.

I set the bowl in front of him, stepping away. As nice and sympathetic I was towards Randall, I had kept my own distance just to be safe. "Homemade stew" I said.

He grabbed the bowl with his chained wrists and began chugging the stew savagely. "That's delicious... Thank you" he smiled.

"Oh I didn't make the stew if that's-"

"No I meant thank for being so nice to me. You're the only one who's hasn't beaten me... Yet" I trailed his eyes down to the blood stained cloth around his leg.

"We'll I have no reason to, they're just afraid" I said.

He gave me a confused look, "and you're not?"

"I have my reasons" I mumbled. Randall reminded me a lot of my dad. Every time he smiled, I saw my dad. Even his voice was familiar to me. I couldn't have the heart to beat someone who had no reason to be beaten, especially if they reminded me of someone I loved.

"Do you know what they're going to do with me?" He asked, wincing.

"No" I lied. The first day Randall got here, Shane wanted to kill him. I expected that from Shane but when Rick considered the thought, I was starting to fear his standards. Of course I know in the end, Rick would never kill anyone who wasn't threatening him or his group. I know Randall couldn't do that to us, he played a role too convincing. "Well enjoy the stew, I'll be back in a few hours to bring you dinner" I said before walking towards the shed doors.

"Wait... I never got your name" he said.

"Adara" I replied. A creak came from the wooden beams above out heads. I looked up to see a familiar figure sitting on one of the beams. Carl. I took the empty bowl from Randall and left the shed. I walked towards the barn house when I heard footsteps follow me. I stopped and turned around furiously. "What is your problem?" Carl's blue eyes trailed down. "Oh so now I get the silent treatment?" I rolled my eyes. He shook his head. "Well?" He played poked the grass beneath his feet with his foot.

I walked towards the barn, Carl following me like a lost puppy. "Look Carl, if we are going to be in a relationship, you have to tell me what's bothering you" I said, stopping and turning around to face him.

He opened his mouth," I-" was all that came out.

"Is it about Randall? Is that why you've been up on those beams everyday I fed Randall?" I asked. Today wasn't the first time I noticed. He's been so distance but yet so protective over me. "Randall... there's nothing going on between us. I don't like him, sure I'm nice but I have my reasons. You know that-" before I could finish me sentence, Carl crashed into me. His arms wrapping tightly around my back. He dug his head into my neck. I was taken back by the sudden bear hug but I dug my arms around him. "I didn't realize you cared about me this much." I said into his ear.

"Please don't leave me, not now" he mumbled into my neck. I hadn't realized how tutti red he's been this week. Maybe he thought Randall was better than he is, that it would leave him for Randall.

"You know I would never, we've been friends for months and I there's nothing that can replace my memories with you" I assured him. He shook his head before letting go of me. When he lifted his head, his eyes began to water. Carl quickly rubbed his eyes with his sleeve.

I took his chin in my hands, kissing his cheek. "How do you do it?" He asked, laughing.

"Do what?" I asked.

"Stay so... strong? How do you not fear everyday that you might lose someone you love?" Love? I know I love him but we haven't said that word in a long time, it was like dusty fairy tale book forgotten for years.

"I don't have to fear because I know you'll make it to the end" I smiled. He nodded before the both of us walked to the barn house.

Dale walked up to is with worried eyes. "What's wrong Dale?" Carl asked.

"We can't find Randall, he's gone"

******
I know it's a super short chapter but I wanted to keep it interesting!!

Please share, vote, and let me know what you think in the comments below, thanks so much guys :)